Approximately an hour’s boat ride from the Eastern town of Semporna, the islands of Kapalai, Sipadan and Mabul, offer some of the finest coral reefs and dive sites in the world.
Because of its stunning coral wall, the island of Sipadan is better known than its neighbours, but to preserve the breeding turtles accommodation on the island has now been closed. Several boats leave daily to the famous dive sites around Sipadan, and the dive packages include up to three boat dives a day as well as impressive house reef diving.
Both Kapalai and Mabul Island, which is larger and with equally seductive beaches, are only 15 minutes away by boat.
Mabul has established its own speciality of 'muck diving' (which explores the very different ecologies of mudflats and silt) that has proved to be a surprise hit with experienced divers. The island has more appeal to non-divers, with more facilities offered at the resorts and beautiful beaches.
Map of Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai Islands
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai Islands
- Kapalai Island 12 miles away
- Mataking Island 29 miles away
- Tabin Wildlife Reserve 61 miles away
- Danum Valley 64 miles away
- Kinabatangan River 95 miles away
- Maliau Basin 102 miles away
- Deramakot Forest Reserve 107 miles away
- Sandakan 109 miles away
- Sepilok 113 miles away
- Garama Wetlands 117 miles away
- Kinabalu National Park 183 miles away
- Mount Kinabalu 184 miles away
- Kota Kinabalu 205 miles away
- Manukan Island 211 miles away
- Gaya Island 211 miles away
- Mulu National Park 251 miles away
- Brunei 256 miles away
Accommodation choices for Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai Islands
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai Islands. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.