The town of Homer is located in a far corner of the Kenai Peninsula and situated on the banks of Kachemak Bay. This bustling town has a picturesque setting, mild climate and great fishing.
Across the water, the impressive Kenai Mountains dominate the skyline, and from Homer you can see the beautiful panorama of Kachemak Bay State Park, including the Grewingk Glacier.
Homer is renowned for being the "Halibut Fishing Capital of the World" and people flock here from far and wide with the hope of pulling in a 300lb halibut.
Exploring Homer and around
While the town itself offers a number of restaurants, art galleries and shops, most visitors are drawn to Homer Spit, a 4.5 mile finger of land that stretches into the bay. The spit is the centre of attractions and has a beach town atmosphere.
No trip to Homer is complete without a visit to the historic Salty Dawg Saloon. Of the many activities available, the most popular are kayaking, scenic boat tours and of course, fishing. Homer is also host to a large artist community and hand-crafted artefacts are available in local shops and galleries.
Suggested itineraries featuring Homer
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Homer, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Homer
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Homer
- Kenai Peninsula 93 kilometers away
- Seward 129 kilometers away
- Cooper Landing 137 kilometers away
- Anchorage 197 kilometers away
- Katmai National Park 203 kilometers away
- Kodiak Island 213 kilometers away
- Prince William Sound 269 kilometers away
- Talkeetna 309 kilometers away
- Valdez 331 kilometers away
- Denali National Park 377 kilometers away
- Denali Park Entrance 466 kilometers away