Visit Prince William Sound, Alaska
The classic image of Alaska is of huge chunks of ice crashing into deep blue fjords, breathtaking coastlines and down to earth locals at one with their environment.
Prince William Sound has all this and more with rain-forested mountains and an abundance of wildlife such as whales, sealions, harbour seals, Dall sheep, mountain goats and, of course, bears.
Towns of Prince William Sound
There are three towns on Prince William Sound, all very different: Valdez has a remarkably picturesque setting amidst some of the world’s tallest mountains and is the terminal for the trans-Alaska oil pipeline. Cordova is a working fishing and canning port that remains somewhat off the beaten track, whilst the tiny port of Whittier is hemmed in by glaciated mountains with access through the recently-converted Whittier Tunnel.
Suggested Prince William Sound itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Prince William Sound, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Prince William Sound
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Prince William Sound
- Valdez 70 kilometers away
- Seward 141 kilometers away
- Cooper Landing 146 kilometers away
- Anchorage 163 kilometers away
- Kenai Peninsula 180 kilometers away
- McCarthy & Kennicott 224 kilometers away
- Talkeetna 245 kilometers away
- Wrangell St. Elias National Park 265 kilometers away
- Homer 269 kilometers away
- Denali National Park 337 kilometers away
- Denali Park Entrance 342 kilometers away
- Tok 368 kilometers away
- Kodiak Island 437 kilometers away
- Fairbanks 469 kilometers away
- Katmai National Park 471 kilometers away
Photos of Prince William Sound
Ideas for experiencing Prince William Sound
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Prince William Sound, and which use the best local guides.
Take flight on a scenic three hour flightseeing tour across Prince William Sound Glacier, a majestic wilderness area of over 15,000 square miles of fjords, inlets, and rugged mountain peaks.