Visit Talkeetna, Alaska
Talkeetna is a quintessential Alaskan gold mining town dating back to the early 20th century.
It has retained much of its character with dirt roads, log cabins and old clapboard shop-fronts. There is tremendous community spirit here and locals can often be seen playing fiddles or guitars and mixing with visitors and mountaineers who come to climb Mount McKinley in nearby Denali National Park.
This is the perfect place to try fishing, glacier trekking or take a light aircraft flight around the mountain.
Map of Talkeetna
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Talkeetna
- Denali National Park 93 kilometers away
- Anchorage 124 kilometers away
- Denali Park Entrance 159 kilometers away
- Cooper Landing 205 kilometers away
- Valdez 239 kilometers away
- Kenai Peninsula 241 kilometers away
- Prince William Sound 245 kilometers away
- Seward 250 kilometers away
- Fairbanks 305 kilometers away
- Homer 309 kilometers away
- Wrangell St. Elias National Park 369 kilometers away
- McCarthy & Kennicott 375 kilometers away
- Tok 376 kilometers away
- Katmai National Park 465 kilometers away
Photos of Talkeetna
Accommodation choices for Talkeetna
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Talkeetna. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Based a short distance from the town of Talkeetna, Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge works well as a base for exploring the southern end of Denali National Park.
Susitna River Lodge offers an excellent location in the small town of Talkeetna, on the banks of the Susitna River. On a clear day, you can sit back and relax as you enjoy views of the Alaska Range.
Ideas for experiencing Talkeetna
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Talkeetna, and which use the best local guides.
This spectacular one and a half hour long trip takes you from the small town of Talkeetna and over monumental mountain peaks en route to the greatest peak of all, Mount Denali.