Visit Richmond, Australia
Twenty minutes drive north of Hobart will lead you to Richmond, the first place that the Coal River could be bridged en route to Port Arthur in 1820.
The village is home to over 50 beautiful sandstone buildings, including Australia’s oldest Anglican Church. The municipal gaol is still splendidly intact, complete with shared and solitary cells, warden’s house and flogging yard.
Richmond also boasts Australia’s oldest bridge, around which many ducks and geese loiter on the riverbanks, creating an idyllic rural scene reminiscent of a Constable painting.
Suggested itineraries featuring Richmond
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Richmond, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Richmond
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Richmond
- Hobart 19 kilometers away
- Huon Valley 46 kilometers away
- Maria Island National Park 55 kilometers away
- Port Arthur 57 kilometers away
- Mount Field National Park 71 kilometers away
- Swansea 86 kilometers away
- Tasmania 91 kilometers away
- Freycinet National Park 94 kilometers away
- Launceston 147 kilometers away
- Deloraine 150 kilometers away
- Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park 167 kilometers away
- Strahan & Gordon River 186 kilometers away
- Stanley 282 kilometers away
- Wilsons Promontory National Park 433 kilometers away