Approximately an hour’s boat ride from the Eastern town of Semporna, the islands of Kapalai, Sipadan and Mabul, offer some of the finest coral reefs and dive sites in the world.
Because of its stunning coral wall, the island of Sipadan is better known than its neighbours, but to preserve the breeding turtles accommodation on the island has now been closed. Several boats leave daily to the famous dive sites around Sipadan, and the dive packages include up to three boat dives a day as well as impressive house reef diving.
Both Kapalai and Mabul Island, which is larger and with equally seductive beaches, are only 15 minutes away by boat.
Mabul has established its own speciality of 'muck diving' (which explores the very different ecologies of mudflats and silt) that has proved to be a surprise hit with experienced divers. The island has more appeal to non-divers, with more facilities offered at the resorts and beautiful beaches.
Map of Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai Islands
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai Islands
- Kapalai Island 20 kilometers away
- Mataking Island 46 kilometers away
- Tabin Wildlife Reserve 98 kilometers away
- Danum Valley 103 kilometers away
- Kinabatangan River 153 kilometers away
- Maliau Basin 164 kilometers away
- Deramakot Forest Reserve 172 kilometers away
- Sandakan 176 kilometers away
- Sepilok 182 kilometers away
- Garama Wetlands 188 kilometers away
- Kinabalu National Park 294 kilometers away
- Mount Kinabalu 295 kilometers away
- Kota Kinabalu 329 kilometers away
- Manukan Island 340 kilometers away
- Gaya Island 340 kilometers away
- Mulu National Park 403 kilometers away
- Brunei 411 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai Islands
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai Islands. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.