Visit Banteay Chhmar, Cambodia
Also known as the Palace of the Cat because of the statue of a cat that once reputedly graced the entrance.
This 12th-century temple lies in the northwest of Cambodia, a beautiful rural area seldom visited by tourists.
Constructed in the reign of Jayavarman VII at the height of the Angkor era on the site of a former temple, Banteay Chhmar remained off limits until 1999. Although not as magnificent as the main temples at Angkor it does offer a wonderful foretaste, the ruins being gradually reclaimed by the surrounding jungle.
Suggested itinerary featuring Banteay Chhmar
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Banteay Chhmar, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Banteay Chhmar
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Banteay Chhmar
- Battambang 109 kilometers away
- Temples of Angkor 110 kilometers away
- Siem Reap 114 kilometers away
- Preah Vihear 174 kilometers away
- Koh Kong 274 kilometers away
- Phnom Penh 341 kilometers away
- Kratie & Chhlong 362 kilometers away
- Sihanoukville 386 kilometers away
- Kampot 403 kilometers away
- Ratanakiri 420 kilometers away
- Kep 420 kilometers away
- Ban Lung 421 kilometers away
- Sen Monorom 477 kilometers away