Known worldwide as the “Jewel of the Rockies”, this is a picture-perfect lake of iconic beauty with the Victoria Glacier perfectly reflected in the still blue waters.
In 1882 Tom Wilson was the first white Canadian to see Lake Louise and wrote...
I never, in all my explorations of these five chains of mountains throughout western Canada, saw such a matchless scene... I felt puny in body but glorified in spirit and soul.
Activities on and around Lake Louise
One end of the lake is dominated by the huge structure of the Château Lake Louise hotel, but a short walk in any direction enables you to reach pristine mountain wilderness. Today, there are many walking, horse riding and mountain biking trails on land, while canoes are available to explore the lakeshore.
Lake Louise village
Lake Louise village is set several kilometres from the lake and has a handful of facilities including a supermarket, petrol station and some restaurants. The village is close to several national and provincial parks, making it a great base for those who wish to explore some of the most awe-inspiring scenery in the Rocky Mountains.
Suggested itineraries featuring Lake Louise
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Lake Louise, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Lake Louise
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lake Louise
- Yoho National Park 22 kilometers away
- Field 22 kilometers away
- Banff 51 kilometers away
- The Kootenays 53 kilometers away
- Canmore 69 kilometers away
- The Purcell Mountains 142 kilometers away
- Calgary 153 kilometers away
- Jasper 208 kilometers away
- Fernie 228 kilometers away
- Claresholm 241 kilometers away
- Head Smashed-in Buffalo Jump 262 kilometers away
- The Cariboo 269 kilometers away
- Edmonton 297 kilometers away
- Wells Gray Provincial Park 301 kilometers away
- Waterton Lakes National Park 309 kilometers away
- Naramata & Okanagan Valley 317 kilometers away
- Dinosaur Provincial Park 337 kilometers away
- Writing-on-Stone Provinical Park 416 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Lake Louise
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Lake Louise. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Lake Louise
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Lake Louise, and which use the best local guides.