Visit Fernie, Canada
Tucked away in a narrow valley in the rugged Rocky Mountains, the town of Fernie has a unique and colourful history.
The town was born when a prospector noticed black and shiny stones in a necklace worn by an Indian Chief’s daughter - it was coal. The chief agreed to reveal the source of these stones if the prospector agreed to marry his daughter. When the prospector reneged on his wedding proposal the angered chief put a curse of fire, flood and famine on the valley, but this didn’t stop Fernie from prospering. From coal, and through the 1920s it added to its wealth by smuggling whiskey into prohibition America.
The curse was finally lifted in 1964 and today it is an atmospheric town rich in history, with abandoned mines, museums and heritage sites letting visitors step back in time to the beautiful Elk Valley’s past.
Suggested itineraries featuring Fernie
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Fernie, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Fernie
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Fernie
- Waterton Lakes National Park 96 kilometers away
- Head Smashed-in Buffalo Jump 104 kilometers away
- The Purcell Mountains 107 kilometers away
- Claresholm 121 kilometers away
- The Kootenays 177 kilometers away
- Canmore 177 kilometers away
- Calgary 187 kilometers away
- Banff 190 kilometers away
- Yoho National Park 227 kilometers away
- Lake Louise 228 kilometers away
- Field 234 kilometers away
- Writing-on-Stone Provinical Park 255 kilometers away
- Dinosaur Provincial Park 292 kilometers away
- Naramata & Okanagan Valley 328 kilometers away
- The Cariboo 425 kilometers away
- Jasper 430 kilometers away
- Edmonton 462 kilometers away
Photos of Fernie
Accommodation choices for Fernie
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Fernie. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Nestled in the hills close to central Fernie, this Canadian timber-frame home is run as a guesthouse by owners Andre and Susan. It’s hidden away enough to feel off the beaten track, and puts you in close reach of the Rockies experience.