Visit Salt Spring Island, Canada
Salt Spring Island, Canada
Salt Spring Island is the largest of the southern Gulf Islands, which are located off the southeastern coast of Vancouver Island.
Three ferry terminals provide connections to Victoria, Crofton (which is 75 kilometres north of Victoria) and the city of Vancouver. The island is approximately 28 kilometres long and from 3 to 16 kilometres wide.
There are almost 800 kilometres of road winding past lakes, across farmland and through wooded areas, with frequent views of the ocean, other islands and the mainland mountains. There are almost 12,000 residents across the island. The largest settlement is Ganges, a village with seaplane service to Victoria and Vancouver. Here, you will find banks, a library, post office, and many small shops, galleries and services.
Originally settled by the Salish First Nation over a thousand years ago, the island became a place where African Americans fled to escape racial tensions in the USA. Today, Salt Spring is known for its local farms, which produce everything from apples and organic cheese to some of Canada's best lamb and wool.
A large number of artists, entertainers and crafts people have made their homes on the island. Consequently, Salt Spring's many galleries, together with numerous craft fairs and concerts, have given the island a national reputation as an artists' colony.
Map of Salt Spring Island
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Salt Spring Island
- Victoria 42 kilometers away
- Vancouver 58 kilometers away
- Whistler 152 kilometers away
- The Sunshine Coast & Desolation Sound 162 kilometers away
- Vancouver Island 173 kilometers away
- Tofino 182 kilometers away
- Campbell River 188 kilometers away
- Northern Vancouver Island 229 kilometers away
- Naramata & Okanagan Valley 297 kilometers away
- Port Hardy 360 kilometers away
- The Cariboo 402 kilometers away
- Bella Coola 463 kilometers away
- Wells Gray Provincial Park 464 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Salt Spring Island
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Salt Spring Island. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.