Visit the Cariboo, Canada
The rolling ranching country and immense forests of British Columbia’s interior plateau extends north from Lillooet between the Coast Mountains to the west and the Cariboo Mountains in the east: it is known as the Cariboo.
Gold rush history
The region became prominent with the discovery of gold and, between 1862 and 1870, over 100,000 people travelled from Lillooet along the Cariboo wagon road to the gold fields. A number of roadhouses were built to supply this human tide, 100 Mile House was originally one of these stopping points, so named because it was located 100 miles from Lillooet.
Other settlements established at this time include Clinton, Williams Lake, Quesnel and Barkerville which, as a restored gold rush town, is the most atmospheric.
As the gold rush subsided some prospectors stayed to farm the land: today this is prime ranching country, criss–crossed by the canyons and ravines of the Fraser and Thompson rivers.
Suggested Cariboo itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in the Cariboo, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Cariboo
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Cariboo
- Wells Gray Provincial Park 87 kilometers away
- Jasper 191 kilometers away
- Naramata & Okanagan Valley 231 kilometers away
- Field 248 kilometers away
- Yoho National Park 251 kilometers away
- Whistler 267 kilometers away
- Lake Louise 269 kilometers away
- The Kootenays 289 kilometers away
- Prince George 312 kilometers away
- Banff 315 kilometers away
- The Purcell Mountains 319 kilometers away
- Canmore 332 kilometers away
- Vancouver 345 kilometers away
- The Sunshine Coast & Desolation Sound 381 kilometers away
- Salt Spring Island 402 kilometers away
- Campbell River 409 kilometers away
- Calgary 421 kilometers away
- Fernie 425 kilometers away
- Victoria 431 kilometers away
- Northern Vancouver Island 437 kilometers away
- British Columbia 447 kilometers away
- Vancouver Island 449 kilometers away
- Bella Coola 471 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for the Cariboo
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Cariboo. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing the Cariboo
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting the Cariboo, and which use the best local guides.