Visit Port Hardy, Canada
Located on the northwest tip of Vancouver Island lies the small town of Port Hardy, whose industry consists of copper mining, fishing and logging.
The waters here are bountiful for salmon and halibut fishing, and killer whale pods and schools of dolphins and porpoises are frequently seen.
A trek into Cape Scott Provincial Park, lying at the northern point of the island, reveals rainforests of red and yellow cedar, fir, hemlock, pine and more than 14 miles of beaches.
Watch seals and sea lions frolic offshore, but keep your eyes on the beach as you might find old native trade beads or a glass float that has been swept ashore from a Japanese fishing net.
The region is also well-known for local First Nations Kwakwaka'wakw art. The studios offer amazing handcrafted masks, totem poles and bowls. For carvings of a different sort, search out the unique chainsaw carvings that are displayed throughout the town.
Suggested itineraries featuring Port Hardy
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Port Hardy, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Accommodation choices for Port Hardy
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Port Hardy. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Map of Port Hardy
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Port Hardy
- Northern Vancouver Island 133 kilometers away
- Campbell River 178 kilometers away
- Vancouver Island 189 kilometers away
- Bella Coola 190 kilometers away
- Tofino 209 kilometers away
- The Sunshine Coast & Desolation Sound 211 kilometers away
- Princess Royal Island 266 kilometers away
- Whistler 329 kilometers away
- Vancouver 352 kilometers away
- Salt Spring Island 360 kilometers away
- Victoria 393 kilometers away
- British Columbia 443 kilometers away
- Prince Rupert 444 kilometers away
- Haida Gwaii 462 kilometers away
- Prince George 480 kilometers away