Clinging to its maritime past, Nova Scotia is a largely unspoilt land of green hills, rocky coastline and fishing towns and villages whose appearance and traditions have changed little over the centuries. Our specialists have explored this corner of Canada extensively and can plan a holiday to Nova Scotia around your interests that takes in the province’s best bits.
You’ll begin your visit in the provincial capital, Halifax. It’s a city where Celtic music and old sea shanties ring out of pubs, fresh seafood chowder is ladled into bowls in waterfront restaurants, and museums fill you in on the region’s past, from its military history to its role in welcoming immigrants to Canada.
Take the scenic Lighthouse Route along the coast and you’ll pass through Peggy’s Cove, a small fishing village where you can visit one of the most photographed lighthouses in the country. The road hugs the coastline until it reaches the town of Lunenburg. Here, a rabble of red-painted wooden houses covers the hillside, and shops and galleries line the narrow streets.
Elsewhere in Nova Scotia, we recommend driving the Cabot Trail. This 297 km (185 mile) coast road winds around the highlands of Cape Breton Island, presenting a different view over the ocean at every turn. You could drive it all in one go, or our specialists can arrange for you to stay overnight, giving you time to explore the walking trails of Cape Breton Highlands National Park.
Places to visit in Nova Scotia
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting Nova Scotia, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travellers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itineraries featuring Nova Scotia
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Nova Scotia, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Nova Scotia
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Nova Scotia
- Annapolis Royal Nova Scotia
- Cape Breton & Cabot Trail Nova Scotia
- Charlos Cove Nova Scotia
- Halifax Nova Scotia
- Ingonish Nova Scotia
- Liscomb Mills Nova Scotia
- Louisbourg Nova Scotia
- Lunenburg Nova Scotia
- Pictou Nova Scotia
- Spry Point 110 kilometers away
- Charlottetown 118 kilometers away
- Prince Edward Island 136 kilometers away
- Cavendish 152 kilometers away
- Riverside-Albert 181 kilometers away
- West Point 209 kilometers away
- Îles de la Madeleine 237 kilometers away
- Kouchibouguac National Park 255 kilometers away
- Saint John 279 kilometers away
- The Bay of Fundy 280 kilometers away
- New Brunswick 324 kilometers away
- Caraquet 335 kilometers away
- Saint Andrews by the Sea 356 kilometers away
- The Gaspé Peninsula 423 kilometers away
- Anticosti Island 471 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Nova Scotia
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Nova Scotia. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.