Visit Halifax, Canada
The capital of Nova Scotia, Halifax is the largest city in the Atlantic provinces and set on the world’s second-largest natural harbour.
The compact city centre, dominated by the Citadel and its adjacent clock tower, is easy to navigate on foot.
Along the waterfront you’ll find plenty of excellent seafood restaurants and several micro-breweries as well as the Historic Properties, a collection of boutique shops in restored maritime warehouses.
The harbour is always busy with ferries that ply across to Dartmouth on the other side, and during the summer season the schooner Bluenose II, a symbol of the province, is often moored here.
In 1912 the Titanic sank to the east of here and memorabilia from the wreck is on display at the city’s superb Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, along with a collection of brightly-coloured ships’ figureheads. Many local cemeteries bear testimony to the disaster but these days Halifax is very much a living society, with plenty of live music bars and a thriving theatre scene.
Suggested itineraries featuring Halifax
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Halifax, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Halifax
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Halifax
- Lunenburg 67 kilometers away
- Nova Scotia 110 kilometers away
- Liscomb Mills 124 kilometers away
- Pictou 134 kilometers away
- Riverside-Albert 153 kilometers away
- Annapolis Royal 154 kilometers away
- Charlottetown 181 kilometers away
- Charlos Cove 189 kilometers away
- Prince Edward Island 192 kilometers away
- The Bay of Fundy 199 kilometers away
- Spry Point 202 kilometers away
- Cavendish 206 kilometers away
- Saint John 209 kilometers away
- West Point 229 kilometers away
- Kouchibouguac National Park 265 kilometers away
- Saint Andrews by the Sea 278 kilometers away
- Cape Breton & Cabot Trail 293 kilometers away
- New Brunswick 307 kilometers away
- Louisbourg 316 kilometers away
- Îles de la Madeleine 329 kilometers away
- Ingonish 332 kilometers away
- Caraquet 364 kilometers away
- The Gaspé Peninsula 471 kilometers away
Photos of Halifax
Accommodation choices for Halifax
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Halifax. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
The grande dame of Halifax hotels, the Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites is conveniently located and seamlessly blends period charm and modern conveniences with classically elegant public spaces and sleek, contemporary rooms.
The Cambridge Suites is a modern, all-suites property located in downtown Halifax. Ideal for longer stays, this hotel is popular with both families and couples.
Just a short, pleasant stroll from the waterfront, the Halliburton offers an intimate selection of rooms and suites across three heritage town homes. Because of the historical nature of the buildings, each room has its distinct shape, size and character.
Centrally located in downtown Halifax, the Prince George Hotel offers comfortable accommodation with first class service, and is within walking distance of Halifax's major attractions.
Ideas for experiencing Halifax
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Halifax, and which use the best local guides.
Take in the sights of Halifax’s waterfront and enjoy the view of this charming and historic city with miles of shoreline guarded by Georges Island and it’s graceful lighthouse.
A journey on the Ocean between Montréal and Halifax provides a wonderful glimpse of Canada’s past.