Visit Louisbourg, Canada
Famed for its fortress, Louisbourg offers summer visitors a taste of life in 1744 as costumed animators re-enact history.
Recognising the economic and military potential of the harbour and fishery, Louis XIV secured it for France in 1713 by constructing a well-fortified, walled city. During the 18th century Louisbourg was the third busiest seaport on the American continent but was successfully besieged by New England troops in 1745 and by British troops in 1758.
In the 1960s reconstruction began on the fortress ruins, and it became the largest project of its kind in North America. Today it is the flagship of Parks Canada’s restored properties.
The town has a theatre and railway museum and is surrounded by sandy beaches.
Suggested itineraries featuring Louisbourg
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Louisbourg, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Louisbourg
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Louisbourg
- Cape Breton & Cabot Trail 84 kilometers away
- Ingonish 87 kilometers away
- Charlos Cove 130 kilometers away
- Spry Point 190 kilometers away
- Liscomb Mills 195 kilometers away
- Nova Scotia 211 kilometers away
- Pictou 214 kilometers away
- Îles de la Madeleine 220 kilometers away
- Charlottetown 246 kilometers away
- Prince Edward Island 264 kilometers away
- Cavendish 270 kilometers away
- Halifax 316 kilometers away
- West Point 348 kilometers away
- Riverside-Albert 370 kilometers away
- Lunenburg 382 kilometers away
- Kouchibouguac National Park 394 kilometers away
- Deer Lake 410 kilometers away
- Caraquet 432 kilometers away
- Gros Morne National Park 445 kilometers away
- Annapolis Royal 453 kilometers away
- Anticosti Island 458 kilometers away
- The Gaspé Peninsula 470 kilometers away
- Saint John 480 kilometers away
- New Brunswick 483 kilometers away
Photos of Louisbourg
Accommodation choices for Louisbourg
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Louisbourg. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
This hotel makes a good base for exploring Louisbourg thanks to its views sunny ocean-view rooms, a convenient location just minutes away from the fortress, and a restaurant that features costumed servers and an authentic Cape Breton menu.
Located just off Main Street, Louisbourg Harbour has eight beautifully decorated guest rooms, six of which overlook the historic harbour.