Lunenburg is one of Nova Scotia’s most historic towns, captivating visitors with its colourful waterfront, narrow streets and old wooden buildings.
This pretty town, lying on a narrow peninsula, was established by the British in 1753 as their first and only colonial settlement in Nova Scotia outside Halifax.
Architecture of Lunenburg
The early settlers, from various parts of Europe, created a vibrant and stable economy built on farming, fishing, ship building and ocean-based commerce. Even now Lunenburg combines a healthy economy with a rich historical legacy, manifesting itself in brightly-painted wooden buildings that clamber up from the main harbour, ringed by an eclectic mix of old wooden churches and mansions.
UNESCO World Heritage Site
Today the town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and its principal attraction is the Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic which houses a great aquarium, the record-breaking schooner Bluenose, and Theresa E. Connor, the last salt-bank schooner to fish from Lunenburg. Visitors can relive past glories by sailing on Bluenose II, a replica of the original vessel.
There are some excellent craft shops, art galleries and restaurants here: be sure to try the two local specialities, Solomon Grundy – marinated herrings with sour cream – and Lunenburg Sausage.
Suggested itineraries featuring Lunenburg
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Lunenburg, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Lunenburg
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lunenburg
- Halifax 67 kilometers away
- Annapolis Royal 104 kilometers away
- The Bay of Fundy 153 kilometers away
- Riverside-Albert 157 kilometers away
- Saint John 171 kilometers away
- Nova Scotia 174 kilometers away
- Liscomb Mills 190 kilometers away
- Pictou 193 kilometers away
- Charlottetown 227 kilometers away
- Saint Andrews by the Sea 229 kilometers away
- Prince Edward Island 234 kilometers away
- Cavendish 247 kilometers away
- West Point 251 kilometers away
- Charlos Cove 255 kilometers away
- Spry Point 258 kilometers away
- Kouchibouguac National Park 277 kilometers away
- New Brunswick 299 kilometers away
- Cape Breton & Cabot Trail 357 kilometers away
- Caraquet 381 kilometers away
- Îles de la Madeleine 381 kilometers away
- Louisbourg 382 kilometers away
- Ingonish 396 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Lunenburg
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Lunenburg. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.