Algonquin Provincial Park is a magnificent natural paradise of lush maple and fir woodlands, spring wildflower meadows, sparkling lakes and plentiful wildlife.
Located just two and a half hours drive north of Toronto, you can go walking, fishing and canoeing for hours without seeing a soul; to many Canadians the park it is as much a symbol of Canada, as Niagara Falls is.
Wildlife of Algonquin Provincial Park
Algonquin was the first of Ontario’s parks, founded in 1893 and with almost eight thousand square kilometres it offers many chances to see moose, deer, beaver and black bears in their natural habitat.
The park authorities have been at the forefront of wolf research since the 1950s and on Thursdays in August they arrange communal 'wolf howls' that elicit ready responses from wolves in the area: a spine tingling way to interact with nature.
Suggested Algonquin Provincial Park itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Algonquin Provincial Park, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Algonquin Provincial Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Algonquin Provincial Park
- Huntsville 79 kilometers away
- Haliburton 83 kilometers away
- Gravenhurst 123 kilometers away
- Port Severn 148 kilometers away
- Ottawa 219 kilometers away
- Prince Edward County 220 kilometers away
- Killarney Provincial Park 233 kilometers away
- Bruce Peninsula & Fathom Five National Marine Park 249 kilometers away
- Toronto 249 kilometers away
- Tobermory 258 kilometers away
- Niagara-on-the-Lake 287 kilometers away
- Manitoulin Island 295 kilometers away
- Laurentian Mountains 301 kilometers away
- Mont Tremblant 301 kilometers away
- Niagara Falls 305 kilometers away
- Goderich and Lake Huron 344 kilometers away
- Montréal 383 kilometers away
- Ontario 408 kilometers away
- Mastigouche Wildlife Reserve 417 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Algonquin Provincial Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Algonquin Provincial Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Algonquin Provincial Park
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Algonquin Provincial Park, and which use the best local guides.