A continuation of the Niagara Escarpment, Manitoulin Island is strikingly different from the harsh grey rocks of the Canadian Shield.
With white cliffs, more than 100 freshwater lakes, gentle woods and open farmland, Manitoulin offers considerably contrasting scenery.
First Nations culture
Manitoulin means 'spirit island' in the Ojibwe language and today a quarter of the inhabitants are First Nations belonging to the Ojibwe, Odawa and Potawatomi peoples. Every August, Manitoulin Island hosts Canada's largest pow-wow, a splendid celebration of native culture. Smaller pow-wows take place throughout the summer and First Nations guided touring is a highlight for any visitor.
The island attracts not only summer sailors, fishermen and water sports enthusiasts but also archaeologists who have discovered a 10,000 year old Paleo-Indian site. At any time of year the ‘Cup and Saucer’ walking trail provides spectacular views over the island.
Suggested Manitoulin Island itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Manitoulin Island, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Manitoulin Island
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Manitoulin Island
- Killarney Provincial Park 72 kilometers away
- Tobermory 75 kilometers away
- Bruce Peninsula & Fathom Five National Marine Park 84 kilometers away
- Port Severn 227 kilometers away
- Goderich and Lake Huron 231 kilometers away
- Huntsville 242 kilometers away
- Gravenhurst 245 kilometers away
- Algonquin Provincial Park 295 kilometers away
- Haliburton 304 kilometers away
- Ontario 323 kilometers away
- Toronto 328 kilometers away
- Niagara-on-the-Lake 378 kilometers away
- Niagara Falls 393 kilometers away
- Prince Edward County 442 kilometers away
- Pelee Island 446 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Manitoulin Island
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Manitoulin Island. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.