Visit Ottawa, Canada
Canada’s delightful capital city occupies an enviable location high on the Ottawa River on the Ontario/Québec provincial border.
This is a city steeped in tradition which manifests itself in the magnificent Parliament buildings, the Governor-General’s residence and the many parks and gardens.
Things to see and do
The Parliament buildings, in particular the Peace Tower and library, are well worth a visit, especially during mid-summer when the Changing of the Guards ceremonies take place.
Another principal attraction is the Rideau Canal which freezes over in winter to form the world’s largest ice-skating rink.
As capital, the city is home to the National Gallery of Canada, the Canadian War Museum and the Royal Canadian Mint. The Museum of Civilisation is particularly impressive, with its insights into First Nations culture.
Suggested itineraries featuring Ottawa
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Ottawa, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Ottawa
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Ottawa
- Laurentian Mountains 120 kilometers away
- Mont Tremblant 120 kilometers away
- Montréal 167 kilometers away
- Prince Edward County 199 kilometers away
- Algonquin Provincial Park 219 kilometers away
- Haliburton 225 kilometers away
- Mastigouche Wildlife Reserve 240 kilometers away
- Huntsville 276 kilometers away
- Gravenhurst 296 kilometers away
- Eastern Townships 314 kilometers away
- Port Severn 324 kilometers away
- Toronto 353 kilometers away
- Niagara-on-the-Lake 362 kilometers away
- Niagara Falls 374 kilometers away
- Québec City 379 kilometers away
- Killarney Provincial Park 452 kilometers away
- Bruce Peninsula & Fathom Five National Marine Park 458 kilometers away
- Tobermory 468 kilometers away
Photos of Ottawa
Accommodation choices for Ottawa
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Ottawa. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
A landmark Ottawa hotel, the Lord Elgin is set in a stately limestone building and offers comfortable, corporate-style rooms and discreet service from its experienced staff. It's a convenient base with a central location for exploring the city.
This grand hotel has an excellent central location in Ottawa. From indulgent afternoon tea to a well-equipped health club, you’ll find plenty of ways to relax during your stay after long days spent exploring the city.