Visit Anticosti Island, Canada
Anticosti Island, Canada
Located in the mouth of the St. Lawrence River, Anticosti Island is over 200 kilometres long and 50 wide.
Its deep forests, high cliffs, dramatic canyons, caves and waterfalls have only recently come to the attention of a few wildlife enthusiasts.
Wildlife of Anticosti Island
Originally used as hunting grounds for the indigenous peoples of mainland Québec, it became the private shooting reserve of Henri Ménier, a famous French chocolate maker whose business empire was to grow into Nestlé. Ironically, this protected the island from any form of development other than the small village of Port Ménier and there are now great areas of wildlife reserves where animals, including vast herds of white-tailed deer, have little fear of man.
Access is via plane from the Gaspésie Peninsula, though the lack of infrastructure necessitates the assistance of a guide and transport to appreciate the highlights of Vauréal Falls and the abundant wildlife.
Map of Anticosti Island
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Anticosti Island
- The Gaspé Peninsula 131 kilometers away
- Caraquet 240 kilometers away
- Îles de la Madeleine 250 kilometers away
- Kouchibouguac National Park 329 kilometers away
- West Point 335 kilometers away
- Cavendish 335 kilometers away
- Prince Edward Island 350 kilometers away
- Charlottetown 362 kilometers away
- Spry Point 363 kilometers away
- Ingonish 371 kilometers away
- Gros Morne National Park 378 kilometers away
- Cape Breton & Cabot Trail 380 kilometers away
- New Brunswick 385 kilometers away
- Deer Lake 406 kilometers away
- Pictou 425 kilometers away
- The Great Northern Peninsula 428 kilometers away
- Riverside-Albert 436 kilometers away
- Louisbourg 458 kilometers away
- Nova Scotia 471 kilometers away