Visit Turrialba, Costa Rica
The verdant Turrialba Valley is nestled against the Caribbean slopes of the Cordillera Central, just 40 miles east of San Jose.
Rains throughout the year have created thick pockets of primary forest connected by important biological corridors whilst the wild waters of the Reventazon River irrigate the valley to sustain extensive plantations of sugar cane, coffee and macadamia.
It also provides some of Costa Rica's most exciting white water rafting.
Landscape and agriculture
A combination of reliable rainfall, numerous powerful rivers and rich volcanic soils have made Turrialba an important agricultural region which has been carefully developed to ensure a balance with nature and conservation.
The lush mountainous landscapes, pristine tropical forests, thundering rivers and wildlife ensures that there is plenty to do in Turrialba; but it is also a great place to discover the agricultural side of the country with a visit one of the plantations to sample some of the best organic produce in Costa Rica.
Suggested itineraries featuring Turrialba
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Turrialba, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Turrialba
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Turrialba
- San Gerardo de Dota 40 kilometers away
- San José & Central Valley 44 kilometers away
- Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast 62 kilometers away
- Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui 72 kilometers away
- Dominical 75 kilometers away
- El Silencio Lodge 77 kilometers away
- Manuel Antonio 77 kilometers away
- Central Pacific Coast 84 kilometers away
- San Ramon 89 kilometers away
- Esterillos 100 kilometers away
- Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 106 kilometers away
- Manzanillo 117 kilometers away
- Monteverde Cloud Forest 126 kilometers away
- Arenal Volcano & the Cloudforest Reserves 128 kilometers away
- Corcovado & Osa Peninsula 137 kilometers away
- Northern Pacific Coast 149 kilometers away
- Cano Negro 165 kilometers away
- Tenorio Volcano 169 kilometers away
- Punta Islita 189 kilometers away
- Rincon de la Vieja 208 kilometers away
- Playa Potrero 237 kilometers away
- Tamarindo 240 kilometers away
- Golfo de Papagayo 250 kilometers away
Photos of Turrialba
Accommodation choices for Turrialba
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Turrialba. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Pacuare Lodge is tucked away in a steep river gorge; deep in the pristine, rainforest-covered Talamanca Mountains on the banks of one of Costa Rica's best white water rivers, the Pacuare.
One of Costa Rica's most famous birding lodges, the Rancho Naturalista has a well-deserved reputation with over 450 species of birds recorded in the area.
Villa Florencia is a simple hotel but with huge amounts of character. If you are going to Costa Rica for the birdlife then this is a great place to include on your trip.
Located in the beautiful Turrialba Valley, Casa Turire is a charming colonial style hotel set in the grounds of a sugar cane, coffee and macadamia nut plantation adjacent to tranquil Lake Angostura.
Ideas for experiencing Turrialba
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Turrialba, and which use the best local guides.
Enjoy a guided tour of CATIE, one of the leading tropical and agricultural research stations in the world. Walk the winding paths, spotting many tropical bird, insect and reptile species along the way, and learn about the cutting-edge research and techniques being used by the centre.
Explore the dramatic Puente Vigas Canyon with an experienced climber and guide. Rappel down cascading waterfalls, climb down vertical canyon walls, zip line through verdant forest canopies and witness the raw natural beauty of the Turrialba region.