Visit Camaguey, Cuba
Camaguey lies in a vast area of open plains, pasture land and cattle ranches in the heart of Cuba.
The city's large sprawling historic centre is a labyrinth of winding narrow alleyways and streets designed in a confusing and irregular pattern to protect itself from pirate raids in the colonial period, which has given it a distinctly different feel from other Cuban cities.
Camaguey has a proud history of heroism and patriotism from the independence wars but today is known more for its active cultural scene and fearless cyclists!
The symbols of Camaguey are large ceramic jars known as 'Tinajones' which can be seen in parks and gardens all over the city. They can be up to two metres tall and are still used to store rainwater and food.
Suggested itineraries featuring Camaguey
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Camaguey, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Camaguey
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Camaguey
- Sancti Spiritus 170 kilometers away
- Cayo Santa Maria 180 kilometers away
- Cayo Ensenachos 186 kilometers away
- Northern Cayes 187 kilometers away
- Cayo Las Brujas 188 kilometers away
- Playa Esmeralda 215 kilometers away
- Guardalavaca 219 kilometers away
- Trinidad 219 kilometers away
- Santa Clara 241 kilometers away
- Santiago de Cuba 267 kilometers away
- Cienfuegos 276 kilometers away
- Baracoa 374 kilometers away
- Varadero 394 kilometers away
Photos of Camaguey
Accommodation choices for Camaguey
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Camaguey. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
The Grand Hotel was built in 1939 and the lobby certainly lives up to the name with high ceilings, chandeliers and some antique furniture.