Visit Cienfuegos, Cuba
The capital of the province of the same name, Cienfuegos is a laid back maritime city with a lazy, tropical atmosphere. In colonial times it was known as the 'Pearl of the South', a name earned from its lovely location on a picturesque Caribbean bay.
Today the bay is as pretty as ever but the city has expanded with heavy industry and drab sixties apartment blocks dominating the outskirts. However the colonial centre is well preserved and was recently declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The inhabitants are proud of the city's great musical tradition and Cienfuegos was once home to Benny More, one of Cuba's most famous musicians.
Map of Cienfuegos
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Cienfuegos
- Santa Clara 58 kilometers away
- Trinidad 62 kilometers away
- Sancti Spiritus 107 kilometers away
- Cayo Las Brujas 138 kilometers away
- Varadero 138 kilometers away
- Cayo Ensenachos 150 kilometers away
- Northern Cayes 152 kilometers away
- Cayo Santa Maria 162 kilometers away
- Havana 225 kilometers away
- Las Terrazas 268 kilometers away
- Camaguey 276 kilometers away
- Cayo Levisa 327 kilometers away
- Western Cuba 336 kilometers away
- Viñales 340 kilometers away
- Maria la Gorda 420 kilometers away
- Cabo de San Antonio 462 kilometers away
Photos of Cienfuegos
Accommodation choices for Cienfuegos
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Cienfuegos. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
La Union Hotel was built in 1869 and was a privately owned mansion. It has been painstakingly restored and is now one of the most comfortable historic hotels outside Havana.
Palacio Azul was built in 1921 by an architect Alfredo Fontana and used to be the private residence of one of the regions wealthy tobacco barons.
Ideas for experiencing Cienfuegos
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Cienfuegos, and which use the best local guides.
Cienfuegos has a well preserved colonial heart which can easily be explored in a short space of short time.