Visit Talloires, France
A quiet, unassuming village on the eastern bank of Lac d’Annecy, Talloires is tucked away from the bustle and crowds of Annecy, the lake’s largest town. Its serene setting, with sweeping views of the Alps, makes Talloires a tranquil base for exploring the lake’s turquoise waters and the surroundings. There are a host of activities on the doorstep and a choice of characterful hotels and highly regarded restaurants. With regular ferries to Annecy, you can choose to join the lively atmosphere in town or relax by the lake in utter peace.
A preferred haunt of Hollywood stars, writers, artists and composers in times past, Talloires boasts its fair share of ostentation. But, its laid-back nature and largely residential population give it a more modest charm than nearby Annecy. It’s arguably the most scenic of the lakeside villages, and the water, mountain peaks and forested hillsides have inspired legions of artists, including Paul Cézanne.
A stay here is all about the surroundings, with scenic views in every direction and a wide choice of activities. You can walk around the village in 20 minutes and then find a quiet, grassy beach and take a swim in the crystal-clear waters. Hopping on a boat, you’ll reach the cobbled streets, canals and hilltop castle of Annecy in about half an hour.
The lake is thought to be the cleanest in Europe, and there are plenty of options for water sports with kayaking, sailing and paddle boarding as well as diving, thanks to the excellent visibility. If the mountains beckon, you can try climbing, rafting or mountain biking, or even paragliding.
On foot, you can walk along the edge of the lake to the 17th-century Benedictine abbey, now a hotel, for regular exhibitions and events. Head south to the nearby village of Angon for a hike through the forest to the Cascade d’Angon, a waterfall that drops 35 m (115 ft) down a rock wall into a canyon.
Best time to visit Talloires
April to October is the best time to visit Talloires, when the weather is warm and dry and you can make the most of the lakefront setting with swimming, boat rides and hiking into the nearby hills
Map of Talloires
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Talloires
- Annecy 11 kilometers away
- Chamonix 51 kilometers away
- Rhône-Alpes 96 kilometers away
- Lyon 108 kilometers away
- Provence 204 kilometers away
- Orange 220 kilometers away
- Châteauneuf-du-Pape wine region 227 kilometers away
- Roussillon 228 kilometers away
- Gordes 230 kilometers away
- L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue 233 kilometers away
- Ménerbes 238 kilometers away
- Avignon 239 kilometers away
- Uzès 248 kilometers away
- Pont-du-Gard 249 kilometers away
- Grasse 249 kilometers away
- Saint-Paul-de-Vence 249 kilometers away
- Èze 252 kilometers away
- Monaco and Monte Carlo 253 kilometers away
- Nice 253 kilometers away
- Saint-Rémy-de-Provence 254 kilometers away
- Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat 255 kilometers away
- Les-Baux-de-Provence 259 kilometers away
- Antibes 262 kilometers away
- Aix-en-Provence 265 kilometers away
- Arles 273 kilometers away
- Saint-Tropez 288 kilometers away
- The French Riviera 290 kilometers away
- Dordogne 344 kilometers away
- Sarlat-la-Canéda 405 kilometers away
- Château de Cheverny 408 kilometers away
- Château de Chambord 410 kilometers away
- La Roque-Gageac 410 kilometers away
- Beynac-et-Cazenac 413 kilometers away
- Castelnaud-la-Chapelle 414 kilometers away
- Reims 414 kilometers away
- Château de Chaumont-sur-Loire 426 kilometers away
- Château de Chenonceau 427 kilometers away
- Amboise 436 kilometers away
- The Loire Valley 441 kilometers away
- Paris 446 kilometers away
- Château de Villandry 467 kilometers away
- Château d'Azay-le-Rideau 468 kilometers away
- Chinon 482 kilometers away
Photos of Talloires
Accommodation choices for Talloires
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Talloires. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Constructed in 1903, Relais & Chateaux property Auberge du Père Bise has long been a destination of choice for fine food, scenic views and relaxed indulgence. It offers a complete retreat but all the sophistication of an urban bolthole.
A storied history, serene and scenic setting, and long tradition of fine food and unobtrusive service make Abbaye de Talloires, one of Lac d’Annecy's most prestigious hotels and a fine base for exploring the region
Located in Talloires on Lac d’Annecy, Beau-Site Talloires offers easy access to Annecy, the lake and the mountains yet enjoys the serenity of a village setting. Its timeless elegance and warm welcome makes it a difficult place to leave.