Visit Almora, India
Almora is tucked away in a little known corner of Uttaranchal. To the east is Nepal and China and north is the state of Jammu and Kashmir.
It was founded by the Chand Dynasty in 1560. In 1798 the area was overrun by the Gurkhas and was heavily bombed by the British as they tried to expel them in the Gurkha Wars of 1814-15.
Almora - cultural capital
Almora itself occupies a horseshoe-shaped ridge and is an important market town and administrative centre and is also considered the cultural capital of the area, also known for Jim Corbett's tiger escapades. Its stone paved roads, wooden houses with beautifully carved façades and homes decorated with traditional murals reflect its heritage.
Rural village life
Almora is the gateway to the wonderful foothills enabling a select few to experience real rural life in the Kumaon region from a village perspective.
Also in this area is the luxury retreat of 360° Leti overlooking the Ramganga River and ancient terraced lands, with snow capped mountains behind.
Map of Almora
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Almora
- Nainital 31 kilometers away
- Corbett Tiger Reserve 75 kilometers away
- Rishikesh 142 kilometers away
- Haridwar 149 kilometers away
- Mussoorie 180 kilometers away
- Delhi 260 kilometers away
- Shimla 292 kilometers away
- Agra 315 kilometers away
- Chambal Sanctuary 335 kilometers away
- Bharatpur and Keoladeo Ghana National Park 340 kilometers away
- Fatehpur Sikri 341 kilometers away
- Gwalior 403 kilometers away
- Pragpur 412 kilometers away
- Dharamsala & McLeod Ganj 432 kilometers away
- Samode 461 kilometers away
- Ramathra 468 kilometers away
- Jaipur 483 kilometers away
Photos of Almora
Accommodation choices for Almora
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Almora. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Located around a five hour drive from the nearest town of Almora, this is an exclusive Himalayan retreat with stunning mountain views and crisp clean air.
The village houses you will stay in are lovely colourful little properties you see in this region but have been adapted to suit western needs.