Visit Cochin, India
The principal port for southwestern India, Cochin has been a trading post for centuries and the Portuguese, Dutch and British influences remain evident.
Highlights of the city
The city is a series of islands but it is the Mattancherry Palace with its detailed frescos, the old spice warehouses, the Jewish synagogue and the churches in Fort Cochin that will occupy most of your time.
The Fort area retains a colonial charm with wide tree lined streets and a large central parade ground surrounded by grand buildings.
Chinese fishing nets
The huge Chinese fishing nets that cantilever over the shallows are the indelible image of Cochin. Best viewed on an evening boat cruise, they are still in daily use by the dedicated fishermen and their catch can be tried in the numerous food stalls that line the waters edge or in the more comfortable surroundings of a hotel restaurant.
A visit to a Kathakali dance centre to watch this stylised and theatrical art form retelling stories from Hindu legend is recommended.
Suggested itineraries featuring Cochin
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Cochin, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Cochin
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Cochin
- Mararikulam 39 kilometers away
- Kothamangalam 44 kilometers away
- The Backwaters 50 kilometers away
- Munnar 90 kilometers away
- Palakkad 102 kilometers away
- Thekkady & Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary 117 kilometers away
- Ooty 170 kilometers away
- Kovalam 189 kilometers away
- Waynad 193 kilometers away
- Madurai 205 kilometers away
- Tellicherry 218 kilometers away
- Nagarhole National Park 235 kilometers away
- Mysore 267 kilometers away
- Chettinad 276 kilometers away
- Coorg 283 kilometers away
- Trichy 284 kilometers away
- Neeleshwar 287 kilometers away
- Tanjore 330 kilometers away
- Belur & Halebid 365 kilometers away
- Bangalore 368 kilometers away
- Tranquebar 412 kilometers away
- Pondicherry 450 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Cochin
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Cochin. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Cochin
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Cochin, and which use the best local guides.