Visit Chettinad, India
The Chettiars thrived as businessmen and built huge, richly decorated palaces to house their wealth.
However trade declined and after the Second World War many of the Chettiars moved away from the area, abandoning their vast houses.
A visit to this area provides an interesting contrast to the ancient history of the temple towns, with traditional craftsmen at work in the market and dusty lanes lined with crumbling carved facades hiding cavernous interiors supported by Burma teak and satinwood pillars.
Suggested itineraries featuring Chettinad
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Chettinad, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Chettinad
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Chettinad
- Madurai 74 kilometers away
- Trichy 83 kilometers away
- Tanjore 90 kilometers away
- Tranquebar 160 kilometers away
- Thekkady & Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary 182 kilometers away
- Munnar 188 kilometers away
- Kerala 231 kilometers away
- Kothamangalam 235 kilometers away
- Pondicherry 239 kilometers away
- Palakkad 246 kilometers away
- Kovalam 271 kilometers away
- The Backwaters 272 kilometers away
- Ooty 272 kilometers away
- Cochin 276 kilometers away
- Mararikulam 277 kilometers away
- Waynad 324 kilometers away
- Mahabalipuram 324 kilometers away
- Kanchipuram 325 kilometers away
- Mysore 341 kilometers away
- Bangalore 349 kilometers away
- Nagarhole National Park 363 kilometers away
- Chennai 371 kilometers away
- Tellicherry 405 kilometers away
- Coorg 423 kilometers away
- Belur & Halebid 466 kilometers away
- Neeleshwar 469 kilometers away
Photos of Chettinad
Accommodation choices for Chettinad
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Chettinad. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Visalam is a beautiful heritage Chettinad Mansion in Karaikkudi. It has 15 heritage rooms and reflects the grandeur of the Chettiar lifestyle but with modern conveniences including a swimming pool.
A lovingly restored Heritage Hotel, perfect for exploring the small town of Karaikkudi.
Ideas for experiencing Chettinad
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Chettinad, and which use the best local guides.
The Chettinad region is fascinating - legend has it that the Chettiars were pivotal in the Chola Empire, dominating coastal business as gem dealers, salt merchants and chandlers.