Visit Bellagio, Italian Lakes
Situated in the middle of Lake Como, Bellagio is sometimes referred to as the pearl of the lake with its centuries-old buildings, cobbled stairways and lanes. Restaurants and bars line the lakeside, where you can enjoy a meal or a drink overlooking the water and the surrounding mountains as well as the grand Villa Melzi.
The village's narrow alleyways are lined with local boutiques and artisanal shops, offering traditional products. The strategic mid-lake location makes Bellagio a convenient base for exploring the rest of Lake Como.
Forked Lake Como separates into its two arms at the tip of a headland topped by Bellagio, a place where flowers spill over garden walls, steep stone stairways lead up the hillside, and brightly painted boats bob in the water. Pastel buildings line the narrow streets, and a host of shops, bars and restaurants flank the lanes and the waterfront, where lingering over a drink or a meal is the done thing.
An avenue of plane trees leads up from the boat landing to the sloping gardens at 19th-century Villa Melzi, a neo-classical mansion on the lakeshore. The gardens extend beyond the house and up the hill. Dotted with Egyptian sculptures and Roman statues, they’re home to many species of exotic trees, a lily pond in the Japanese style, and a riot of azalea and rhododendron blooms in April and May. Tickets also give you access to the chapel and a small museum in the orangery, although the house itself remains private.
A short walk along narrow stairways and paths leads you away from the heart of Bellagio to the small fishing port of Pescallo. From here, it's a scenic walk to Punta Spartivento, the very tip of the peninsula where the two arms of Lake Como meet. Looking north toward the Alps, the views are unrivalled with the distant peaks lording over the lake and surrounding hillside and forests.
Although Bellagio gets very crowded, particularly on summer weekends, it loses little of its charm in the throng. Its central position makes it a good base for exploring the rest of the lake, with frequent ferries connecting to various towns around the lake's shores.
Suggested itineraries featuring Bellagio
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Bellagio, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Bellagio
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Bellagio
- Tremezzo 7 kilometers away
- Lezzeno 7 kilometers away
- Lake Como 8 kilometers away
- Laglio 15 kilometers away
- Torno 18 kilometers away
- Blevio 20 kilometers away
- Como 24 kilometers away
- Lake Maggiore 44 kilometers away
- Verbania 55 kilometers away
- Milan 58 kilometers away
- Stresa 58 kilometers away
- Verona 148 kilometers away
- Parma 156 kilometers away
- Turin 159 kilometers away
- Piedmont 160 kilometers away
- Barbaresco 168 kilometers away
- Alba 172 kilometers away
- Genoa 177 kilometers away
- Barolo 184 kilometers away
- Portofino and Santa Margherita 187 kilometers away
- Modena 198 kilometers away
- Cinque Terre 211 kilometers away
- Porto Venere 220 kilometers away
- Bologna 232 kilometers away
- Forte dei Marmi 236 kilometers away
- Venice 247 kilometers away
- Pisa 267 kilometers away
- Ravenna 289 kilometers away
- Florence 293 kilometers away
- San Gimignano 313 kilometers away
- Siena 339 kilometers away
- Perugia 405 kilometers away
- Assisi 420 kilometers away
- Umbria 424 kilometers away
- Orvieto 429 kilometers away
Photos of Bellagio
Accommodation choices for Bellagio
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Bellagio. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Hotel Belvedere welcomes guests into this expansive and elegant family property. It is located a few minutes away from the heart of Bellagio and has extensive gardens where guests can unwind in while enjoying spectacular lake and mountain views.