Visit Hiroshima, Japan
Beneath an arched cenotaph in Hiroshima’s Memorial Park a flame burns, waiting to be extinguished once the world is finally rid of nuclear weapons.
Close by, thousands of paper cranes, a symbol of health and longevity, are spread in silent protest around the poignant Children’s Peace Memorial. But the modern city is fully revitalised, and from your central hotel it is easy to explore its lively and energetic core.
Hiroshima is a city which has risen from the ashes since the horrific events of August 1945 and although these events are justifiably and sensitively commemorated, the city is now one with an energetic and cosmopolitan feel. The wide tree lined avenues, castle (reconstructed), Shukkei-en gardens and of course the moving Peace Park and Memorial Museum ensure that the visitor has plenty to see and do over a couple of days here.
Nearby Miyajima Island, or Itsuku-shima as it was formally known, has been sacred to the Japanese since the inception of the first shrine on the island over fifteen hundred years ago. The present incarnation of the Itsukushima-jinja shrine is one of the island's greatest attractions, and the "floating" red torii gate that stands in the shallow waters of the bay when the tide is in remains on of the most photographed views in Japan.
Suggested itineraries featuring Hiroshima
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Hiroshima, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Accommodation choices for Hiroshima
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Hiroshima. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Hiroshima
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Hiroshima, and which use the best local guides.
Map of Hiroshima
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Hiroshima
- Miyajima Island 19 kilometers away
- Matsuyama 69 kilometers away
- Kurashiki 111 kilometers away
- Shikoku 123 kilometers away
- Matsue 133 kilometers away
- Naoshima 142 kilometers away
- Takamatsu 147 kilometers away
- Beppu 153 kilometers away
- Iya Valley 159 kilometers away
- Yufuin 160 kilometers away
- Kurokawa 190 kilometers away
- Tokushima 197 kilometers away
- Tottori 204 kilometers away
- Fukuoka 210 kilometers away
- Aso 212 kilometers away
- Kyushu 213 kilometers away
- Kumamoto 240 kilometers away
- Kinosaki Onsen 255 kilometers away
- Osaka 282 kilometers away
- Mount Koya 291 kilometers away
- Nagasaki 301 kilometers away
- Nara 308 kilometers away
- Kyoto 311 kilometers away
- Kirishima National Park 313 kilometers away
- Kagoshima 358 kilometers away
- Kanazawa 451 kilometers away
- Shirakawago 455 kilometers away
- Takayama 477 kilometers away