Visit Kushiro, Japan
The port city of Kushiro is located in the Doto region of eastern Hokkaido and with regular flights south to Tokyo can act as a convenient entry and exit point for visits to this less visited part of the island.
In common with many of Japan's newer provincial cities Kushiro is a slightly sprawling affair with little of particular interest for the passing visitor.
Kushiro Shitsugen Marshland
The main draw for this area is Japan's newest national park the recently designated Kushiro Shitsugen Marshland, one of the very few remaining marshland habitats in the country. This area is home in winter to one of Japan's national symbols, the beautiful migrating Red Crested Crane or tanchozuru.
The park is also home to countless other species of unusual marshland flora and fauna.
Suggested itinerary featuring Kushiro
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Kushiro, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Kushiro
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Kushiro
- Akan-ko National Park 57 kilometers away
- Shiretoko National Park 128 kilometers away
- Utoro 131 kilometers away
- Hokkaido 142 kilometers away
- Sounkyo 143 kilometers away
- Asahidake 146 kilometers away
- Sapporo 247 kilometers away
- Hakodate 326 kilometers away
- Towadako & Hirosaki 404 kilometers away
- Nyuto Onsen 469 kilometers away
- Tazawako 479 kilometers away