Visit Kyushu, Japan
Thought by many to be the birthplace of the Japanese nation, Kyushu is the southernmost of Japan’s four main islands, with a turbulent history matched by its seething volcanic terrain.
This island was the focal point of foreign interest in Japan, and the only place during Japan’s long years of self-imposed isolation where contact with the outside world was permitted.
A land of cosmopolitan cities and castles, active volcanoes and scenic crater lakes, Kyushu is a prime location to explore Japan’s history, both ancient and more recent. An ideal location for scenic hikes in an unspoilt landscape and for visiting hot spring resorts well beyond the reach of conventional tourists.
Places to visit in Kyushu
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting Kyushu, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travellers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested Kyushu itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Kyushu, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Kyushu
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Kyushu
- Aso Kyushu
- Beppu Kyushu
- Fukuoka Kyushu
- Kagoshima Kyushu
- Kirishima National Park Kyushu
- Kumamoto Kyushu
- Kurokawa Kyushu
- Nagasaki Kyushu
- Yakushima Kyushu
- Yufuin Kyushu
- Matsuyama 189 kilometers away
- Miyajima Island 195 kilometers away
- Hiroshima 213 kilometers away
- Shikoku 247 kilometers away
- Iya Valley 297 kilometers away
- Kurashiki 301 kilometers away
- Takamatsu 318 kilometers away
- Naoshima 321 kilometers away
- Matsue 344 kilometers away
- Tokushima 346 kilometers away
- Tottori 412 kilometers away
- Mount Koya 441 kilometers away
- Osaka 455 kilometers away
- Kinosaki Onsen 460 kilometers away
- Nara 477 kilometers away