Visit Fukuoka, Japan
Fukuoka City is the main port of access from Korea into Japan by sea and is regarded by many as the cultural hub of Japan.
With some wonderful art and crafts museums to visit and some great food on offer it is worth using as a base point to explore the area.
People and culture
The population of the city is very young and hence the city has a very vibrant and international outlook with a great nightlife on offer. Ramen noodles and the infamous Fugu fish are the local specialties should you wish to play culinary Russian roulette, the former being served almost everywhere and in every combination imaginable.
A short train ride from Fukuoka city is the ancient Dazaifu shrine town with its pretty shrine complex which makes a nice day trip from the city especially during exam season when students flock to the area to pray for good grades.
Yanagawa city otherwise known as the Japanese Venice is a 45 minute train ride south of Fukuoka city. Canals wind their way through the city carrying tourists punted by singing guides.
Suggested itineraries featuring Fukuoka
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Fukuoka, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Fukuoka
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Fukuoka
- Kurokawa 90 kilometers away
- Kumamoto 93 kilometers away
- Yufuin 98 kilometers away
- Aso 100 kilometers away
- Nagasaki 106 kilometers away
- Beppu 108 kilometers away
- Kyushu 110 kilometers away
- Kirishima National Park 191 kilometers away
- Miyajima Island 192 kilometers away
- Hiroshima 210 kilometers away
- Matsuyama 221 kilometers away
- Kagoshima 222 kilometers away
- Shikoku 292 kilometers away
- Kurashiki 318 kilometers away
- Matsue 322 kilometers away
- Iya Valley 341 kilometers away
- Naoshima 345 kilometers away
- Takamatsu 347 kilometers away
- Yakushima 365 kilometers away
- Tokushima 388 kilometers away
- Tottori 411 kilometers away
- Kinosaki Onsen 464 kilometers away