Visit Kagoshima, Japan
For those with an interest in Kyushu’s turbulent history, the warm and friendly city of Kagoshima is a great place to visit.
Birthplace of the famous rebel Saigo Takamori, the city played a key role in the Meiji Restoration and the subsequent Satsuma Rebellion.
Kagoshima boasts many historical sites and one of the best gardens in Kyushu at Iso-teien. In the middle of the bay Sakurajima, one of the world’s most active volcanoes, spews out smoke and ash with ominous frequency.
Kirishima National Park
Just an hour’s drive brings you to the heart of Kirishima National Park, where you can hike at your leisure through the fabulous scenery before relaxing in one of the many onsen resorts that dot the area.
Suggested itineraries featuring Kagoshima
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Kagoshima, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Kagoshima
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Kagoshima
- Kirishima National Park 47 kilometers away
- Kumamoto 135 kilometers away
- Nagasaki 143 kilometers away
- Yakushima 143 kilometers away
- Kyushu 148 kilometers away
- Aso 151 kilometers away
- Kurokawa 174 kilometers away
- Yufuin 202 kilometers away
- Beppu 207 kilometers away
- Fukuoka 222 kilometers away
- Matsuyama 325 kilometers away
- Miyajima Island 340 kilometers away
- Hiroshima 358 kilometers away
- Shikoku 370 kilometers away
- Iya Valley 417 kilometers away
- Kurashiki 438 kilometers away
- Takamatsu 447 kilometers away
- Naoshima 452 kilometers away
- Tokushima 465 kilometers away