Visit Shikoku, Japan
Resting in the waters of the Inland Sea, Shikoku is Japan’s fourth largest island and enjoys a relaxed atmosphere and rural landscape.
Cross to the island by train from Okayama, or board a boat through the archipelago from Hiroshima.
The island’s main city is Matsuyama, home to one of Japan’s finest castles, perched on a hill top with excellent views and a stunning collection of samurai swords and armour.
In Dogo Onsen, one of Japan’s oldest spa towns, the beautiful public baths date back to 1894, while for many visitors the highlight is the attractive garden of Ritsurin-koen in Takamatsu, where the ponds, teahouses and bridges took more than a century to complete.
Places to visit in Shikoku
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting Shikoku, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travellers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Shikoku, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Shikoku
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Shikoku
- Iya Valley Shikoku
- Matsuyama Shikoku
- Naoshima Shikoku
- Takamatsu Shikoku
- Tokushima Shikoku
- Kurashiki 89 kilometers away
- Hiroshima 123 kilometers away
- Miyajima Island 128 kilometers away
- Matsue 195 kilometers away
- Mount Koya 196 kilometers away
- Beppu 199 kilometers away
- Tottori 203 kilometers away
- Yufuin 209 kilometers away
- Osaka 209 kilometers away
- Nara 231 kilometers away
- Kurokawa 236 kilometers away
- Kinosaki Onsen 238 kilometers away
- Kyushu 247 kilometers away
- Kyoto 247 kilometers away
- Aso 252 kilometers away
- Kumamoto 285 kilometers away
- Fukuoka 292 kilometers away
- Kirishima National Park 324 kilometers away
- Nagasaki 360 kilometers away
- Kagoshima 370 kilometers away
- Shirakawago 414 kilometers away
- Kanazawa 421 kilometers away
- Tsumago 422 kilometers away
- Takayama 429 kilometers away
- Kamikochi 470 kilometers away
- Tateyama 471 kilometers away
- Yakushima 479 kilometers away
Photos of Shikoku
Accommodation choices for Shikoku
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Shikoku. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
This unique property is a synthesis of hotel and museum, surrounded by fanastic works of contemporary art in a beautiful and remote setting.
The Clement Hotel features spacious rooms, excellent service and its sky bar on the top floor offers some excellent views of Tokushima and Mount Bizen.
The Dogo Tsubaki Kan Spa resort is one of the oldest and most celebrated of Japan's many hot spring areas. Here you will be able to experience and enjoy kaiseki dining, traditional breakfasts and the hotels various hot spring baths.
The Iya Valley Onsen hotel has only 21 rooms all in the Japanese style. It is one of the best in the area and offers excellent hot spring bathing coupled with good hearty food.