Visit Matsuyama, Japan
On the northwestern corner of Shikoku Island lies its largest and most interesting city, Matsuyama.
Boasting an impressive castle, the excellent hot-spring resort of Dogo and lying within easy reach of the island's highest mountain, Ishizuchi-san (1,982 m), Matsuyama has attractions enough for everyone.
The town has grown up gradually around the castle (constructed in 1602 on Katsuyama Hill in the town centre) and though the centre is modern, having been largely destroyed during the war, and is now expanding rapidly, it retains the relaxed atmosphere of a much smaller town.
A thirty-minute bus ride from the Shieki-mae Station takes you to the ports of Matsuyama and Takahama, from where numerous ferry and hydrofoil services run toward the mainland, including the quick one hour hydrofoil over to Hiroshima.
Just outside of the main town is the Dogo Onsen Spa area, where we often recommend our clients stay to experience a proper Japanese-style resort. As well as a number of splendid traditional onsen bath houses, Dogo is a home to a beautiful shrine, the Isaniwa-jinja, and a small but interesting art gallery.
Get to Dogo by tram from Matsuyama town centre.
Suggested itinerary featuring Matsuyama
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Matsuyama, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Matsuyama
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Matsuyama
- Miyajima Island 65 kilometers away
- Hiroshima 69 kilometers away
- Shikoku 73 kilometers away
- Kurashiki 114 kilometers away
- Iya Valley 121 kilometers away
- Takamatsu 131 kilometers away
- Naoshima 133 kilometers away
- Beppu 134 kilometers away
- Yufuin 144 kilometers away
- Tokushima 168 kilometers away
- Kurokawa 173 kilometers away
- Matsue 184 kilometers away
- Kyushu 189 kilometers away
- Aso 192 kilometers away
- Fukuoka 221 kilometers away
- Kumamoto 224 kilometers away
- Tottori 229 kilometers away
- Mount Koya 265 kilometers away
- Osaka 270 kilometers away
- Kinosaki Onsen 273 kilometers away
- Kirishima National Park 278 kilometers away
- Nara 294 kilometers away
- Nagasaki 295 kilometers away
- Kyoto 305 kilometers away
- Kagoshima 325 kilometers away
- Yakushima 446 kilometers away
- Shirakawago 464 kilometers away
- Kanazawa 466 kilometers away
- Takayama 483 kilometers away
- Tsumago 483 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Matsuyama
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Matsuyama. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
The Dogo Tsubaki Kan Spa resort is one of the oldest and most celebrated of Japan's many hot spring areas. Here you will be able to experience and enjoy kaiseki dining, traditional breakfasts and the hotels various hot spring baths.