Visit Naoshima, Japan
Naoshima is an island in the Seto Inland Sea, located approximately 13 kilometres north of Takamatsu City, Kagawa Prefecture and 2 kilometres south of Tamano City, Okayama Prefecture.
Naoshima and the group of islands surrounding it make up the administrative unit of Naoshima-cho, Kagawa Prefecture.
The main reason for visiting the island is to see the art museums, famed for their contempary exhibitions and progressive attitude towards the creation and nurturing of new talents. There are two museums on the island that can be visited.
Chichu Art Museum
Chichu Art Museum was established in 2004 as a site to rethink the relationship between nature and people. The museum, managed by Naoshima Fukutake Art Museum Foundation, is located on the south side of Naoshima, an island of the Inland Sea of Japan. The artworks of Claude Monet, Walter De Maria and James Turrell are installed permanently within the building that Tadao Ando designed.
Benesse Art Site Naoshima
The "Benesse Art Site Naoshima" is a collective term for the Benesse Corporation's contemporary art activities in Naoshima, Kagawa. Since the opening of "Benesse House" in 1992, art sites have been made in Naoshima that confront nature, architecture and history. In Naoshima, artworks are created using the "site specific" method.
In other words, invited artists visit and select a site in Naoshima, and then plan and produce work for that site. In the past, artists such as Walter De Maria, Jannis Kounellis, and Richard Long have used this method to create works that exist permanently after completion.
Suggested itineraries featuring Naoshima
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Naoshima, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Naoshima
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Naoshima
- Takamatsu 16 kilometers away
- Kurashiki 34 kilometers away
- Iya Valley 64 kilometers away
- Tokushima 68 kilometers away
- Shikoku 88 kilometers away
- Tottori 118 kilometers away
- Matsuyama 133 kilometers away
- Matsue 140 kilometers away
- Hiroshima 142 kilometers away
- Osaka 142 kilometers away
- Kinosaki Onsen 150 kilometers away
- Mount Koya 152 kilometers away
- Miyajima Island 156 kilometers away
- Nara 168 kilometers away
- Kyoto 174 kilometers away
- Beppu 266 kilometers away
- Yufuin 275 kilometers away
- Kurokawa 305 kilometers away
- Kyushu 321 kilometers away
- Aso 324 kilometers away
- Shirakawago 333 kilometers away
- Kanazawa 337 kilometers away
- Fukuoka 345 kilometers away
- Takayama 351 kilometers away
- Tsumago 352 kilometers away
- Kumamoto 356 kilometers away
- Tateyama 390 kilometers away
- Kamikochi 392 kilometers away
- Kirishima National Park 406 kilometers away
- Matsumoto 412 kilometers away
- Nagasaki 426 kilometers away
- Hakuba 427 kilometers away
- The Japanese Alps 428 kilometers away
- Kagoshima 452 kilometers away
- Noto Peninsula 452 kilometers away
- Izu Peninsula 458 kilometers away
- Hakone & Mt Fuji 468 kilometers away
- Yudanaka 475 kilometers away
Photos of Naoshima
Accommodation choices for Naoshima
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Naoshima. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
This unique property is a synthesis of hotel and museum, surrounded by fanastic works of contemporary art in a beautiful and remote setting.