Visit Shompole Magadi, Kenya
The Shompole Conservancy lies 120 kilometres south of Nairobi on the border with Tanzania in the heart of the Great Rift Valley. It is owned by the local Maasai community and its establishment has helped to both protect this stunning natural habitat and directly benefit the community.
Shompole Magadi, Kenya
The Shompole Conservancy lies 120 kilometres south of Nairobi on the border with Tanzania in the heart of the Great Rift Valley.
It protects 35,000 acres of untouched wilderness and borders onto the shores of Lake Magadi. Dormant volcanoes dot the horizon and towering over the conservancy is the extinct volcano which gives the area its name Shompole.
Wildlife of the Shompole Conservancy
Running along one edge of the conservancy is the Nguruman escarpment whose forested slopes are home to buffalo and countless bird species. Stretching out from the escarpment are the vast sun baked plains, mud flats and swamp where zebra, giraffe, antelope and warthog roam and at night the resident prides of lion are heard calling to each other.
On the southern border of the conservancy lies Lake Natron, a soda encrusted lake where lesser flamingos come to breed. From the top of the escarpment the views are endless and in the heat of the day during the dry season the wind across the plains whips up the dust into impressive dust devils.
The Maasai community
The conservancy is owned by the local Maasai community and its establishment has helped to both protect this stunning natural habitat and directly benefit the community.
Shompole is, above all, a spectacular wilderness destination and a successful community conservation area.
Map of Shompole Magadi
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Shompole Magadi
- Loita Hills 60 kilometers away
- Nairobi 114 kilometers away
- Amboseli National Park 126 kilometers away
- Lake Naivasha 147 kilometers away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 154 kilometers away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 190 kilometers away
- Lake Nakuru 190 kilometers away
- The Chyulu Hills 194 kilometers away
- Tsavo West National Park 250 kilometers away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 251 kilometers away
- Sosian Ranch 268 kilometers away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 294 kilometers away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 296 kilometers away
- Lake Victoria 297 kilometers away
- Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 299 kilometers away
- The Laikipia Plateau 299 kilometers away
- Tsavo East National Park 303 kilometers away
- Borana Ranch 305 kilometers away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 307 kilometers away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 314 kilometers away
- Meru National Park 331 kilometers away
- Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 335 kilometers away
- Samburu National Reserve 336 kilometers away
- Karisia Hills 357 kilometers away
- Shaba National Reserve 359 kilometers away
- Matthews Mountain Range 382 kilometers away
- Kenya's Coastline 444 kilometers away
- Mombasa 449 kilometers away
- Watamu 452 kilometers away
- Diani Beach 456 kilometers away
- Funzi Island 459 kilometers away
- The Tana Delta 466 kilometers away