Visit Il Ngwesi Group Ranch, Kenya
The Il Ngwesi Group Ranch is north of Mount Kenya and covers an area of 16,500 hectares. The ranch is not a ranch in the traditional sense but is rather a huge tract of land owned by many Maasai villages. Il Ngwesi is home to a wide range of big and small game.
Il Ngwesi Group Ranch, Kenya
The Il Ngwesi Group Ranch is north of Mount Kenya and covers an area of 16,500 hectares. The ranch is far from any towns and on the edge of Kenya's Laikipia Plateau.
Here, land stretches endlessly to the horizon, you will not see a single light at night and the calls of the wild surround you.
Local Maasai communities
The ranch is not a ranch in the traditional sense of the word. Rather it is a huge tract of land owned by many Maasai villages. The villages have still kept their traditional ways, however, have scaled down their livestock, are actively protecting the game and have opened a small lodge. All profits brought in by tourists are divided among the local community and help to support nearly five hundred households and their schools, cattle dips, water supplies and other group ranch operations.
Wildlife of Il Ngwesi
The awareness of the financial value of wildlife has resulted in the corresponding increase in wildlife numbers in the conservancy. Herds of up to 400 elephant have been seen and the calls of lion and leopard are often heard at night. A black rhino, Omni, has recently been relocated from Lewa, making it the first black rhino in Il N'gwesi in over twenty years. In addition to this, guests may also see impala, Grant's gazelle, buffalo, eland, gerenuk and Grevy's and Burchell's zebra on morning and evening game drives.
All that said, a stay at Il N'gwesi is as much about learning about Maasai culture as it is enjoying the game and wilderness that this wonderful part of Kenya has to offer.
Map of Il Ngwesi Group Ranch
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Il Ngwesi Group Ranch
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 16 kilometers away
- Borana Ranch 19 kilometers away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 35 kilometers away
- Samburu National Reserve 40 kilometers away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 58 kilometers away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 64 kilometers away
- Sosian Ranch 71 kilometers away
- Shaba National Reserve 71 kilometers away
- Matthews Mountain Range 92 kilometers away
- Meru National Park 96 kilometers away
- Karisia Hills 100 kilometers away
- Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 102 kilometers away
- The Laikipia Plateau 139 kilometers away
- Lake Nakuru 158 kilometers away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 158 kilometers away
- Lake Naivasha 163 kilometers away
- Nairobi 188 kilometers away
- Loita Hills 276 kilometers away
- Shompole Magadi 296 kilometers away
- The Chyulu Hills 327 kilometers away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 328 kilometers away
- Amboseli National Park 328 kilometers away
- Lake Victoria 367 kilometers away
- Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 376 kilometers away
- Tsavo East National Park 384 kilometers away
- Tsavo West National Park 420 kilometers away
- Kenya's Northern Frontier 426 kilometers away
- The Tana Delta 462 kilometers away