Visit Lewa Wilderness Conservancy, Kenya
To the north of Mount Kenya, the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy stretches for over 45,000 acres. Its story begins with a man named Ian Craig, who took over the running of his parents' cattle farm in 1977.
The Lewa Wildlife Conservancy
Wildlife used to roam free on the farm, but in the seventies increased poaching threatened the existence of many animals. In 1983, due to the plight of the rhino which had all been killed when they wandered off the farm, a rhino sanctuary was made from 5,000 acres of the ranch. This then grew to 10,000 acres and then in 1995 the entire farm was turned into the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy. Eventually neighbouring land was also incorporated, including the Ngara Ndara forest to the south.
Wildlife of Lewa
As the conservancy has grown, the amount of wildlife it supports has increased and now you can enjoy some rewarding game viewing here. Both Grevy's and common zebra can be found on the open grass plains alongside Grant's gazelle, buffalo, reticulated giraffe, Beisa oryx, eland and impala. Black and white rhino are both found and predators are well represented with lion, cheetah, leopard and hyena. During the heat of the late morning many of these animals converge at the swamps to drink. Waterbuck are always nearby and large elephant herds are frequent visitors so sometimes it is possible to see hundreds of animals all in one spot. Finally, the lucky may spot the rare swamp-dwelling antelope, the sitatunga.
Map of Lewa Wilderness Conservancy
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lewa Wilderness Conservancy
- Borana Ranch 12 kilometers away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 16 kilometers away
- Samburu National Reserve 44 kilometers away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 50 kilometers away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 66 kilometers away
- Shaba National Reserve 68 kilometers away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 79 kilometers away
- Meru National Park 81 kilometers away
- Sosian Ranch 84 kilometers away
- Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 87 kilometers away
- Matthews Mountain Range 102 kilometers away
- Karisia Hills 115 kilometers away
- The Laikipia Plateau 153 kilometers away
- Lake Naivasha 165 kilometers away
- Lake Nakuru 165 kilometers away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 166 kilometers away
- Nairobi 184 kilometers away
- Loita Hills 277 kilometers away
- Shompole Magadi 294 kilometers away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 299 kilometers away
- Mara North Conservancy 307 kilometers away
- The Chyulu Hills 316 kilometers away
- Amboseli National Park 320 kilometers away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 333 kilometers away
- Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 362 kilometers away
- Tsavo East National Park 371 kilometers away
- Lake Victoria 377 kilometers away
- Tsavo West National Park 409 kilometers away
- Kenya's Northern Frontier 440 kilometers away
- The Tana Delta 446 kilometers away
- Lamu Archipelago 477 kilometers away
Photos of Lewa Wilderness Conservancy
Accommodation choices for Lewa Wilderness Conservancy
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Lewa Wilderness Conservancy. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Situated in a conservancy known for its success in protecting rhino, Lewa Safari Camp is a family friendly property in leafy surrounds.
Lewa Wilderness Trails is a fabulous place to stay. The rooms are luxurious and lodge welcoming and relaxed. There is always something to see from the lodge and the wildlife in the conservancy is excellent.