Visit Sosian Ranch, Kenya
Sosian Ranch, Kenya
Sosian is a 24,000-acre working ranch in the centre of the vast Laikipia Plateau.
The scenery is beautiful, with views to the snow-capped peaks of Mount Kenya, the Aberdares to the south and the cedar-clad Karisia Hills to the north. The Ewaso Narok River, running through the southern section of the ranch has lovely waterfalls.
Wildlife of Sosian
It supports a wide diversity of wildlife and birds and is home to lion, leopard, elephant and buffalo as well as a host of other large mammals. The area supports a number of rare northern species such as the endemic Jackson's hartebeest, Grevy's zebra, and reticulated giraffe. Even the endangered wild dog, thought to be extinct in Laikipia, have returned to the area in healthy numbers and are occasionally seen on Sosian. Grassy plains covering the central part of the ranch abound with herds of gazelle, oryx, hartebeest and eland. Riverine vegetation along the Ewaso Narok and the swamp on the southern boundary of the ranch offer excellent birding.
Restoration of Sosian Ranch
Sosian had been gently crumbling, until 2001 when it was bought with the aim of restoring the ranch back to its original state of health and sharing it with visitors. The ranch now raises a variety of livestock, including boran cattle, Maasai red sheep, and galla goats. It is leading the way in reducing human-predator conflict and livestock losses by building innovative predator-resistant bomas. Other ventures include biltong and honey production for the ranch house.
The ranch works closely with the local Laikipiak Maasai and Samburu tribes by providing employment and allowing grazing during times of drought. In addition, Sosian has formed a water association with the local communities to save the river and swamp on the ranch and has started a tree nursery.
Map of Sosian Ranch
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Sosian Ranch
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 32 kilometers away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 47 kilometers away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 53 kilometers away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 71 kilometers away
- The Laikipia Plateau 74 kilometers away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 84 kilometers away
- Karisia Hills 89 kilometers away
- Borana Ranch 89 kilometers away
- Lake Nakuru 99 kilometers away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 99 kilometers away
- Samburu National Reserve 100 kilometers away
- Matthews Mountain Range 121 kilometers away
- Lake Naivasha 123 kilometers away
- Shaba National Reserve 137 kilometers away
- Meru National Park 165 kilometers away
- Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 171 kilometers away
- Nairobi 175 kilometers away
- Loita Hills 237 kilometers away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 242 kilometers away
- Mara North Conservancy 244 kilometers away
- Shompole Magadi 268 kilometers away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 271 kilometers away
- Lake Victoria 297 kilometers away
- Amboseli National Park 327 kilometers away
- The Chyulu Hills 342 kilometers away
- Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 407 kilometers away
- Kenya's Northern Frontier 411 kilometers away
- Tsavo East National Park 416 kilometers away
- Tsavo West National Park 433 kilometers away
Photos of Sosian Ranch
Accommodation choices for Sosian Ranch
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Sosian Ranch. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Sosian Ranch House has a comfortable sitting and dining room have open fireplaces, deep armchairs and a good library with books and games. Activities include game drives and guided walks.