Visit Khammuan & Savannakhet, Laos
Khammuan & Savannakhet, Laos
Travellers rarely visit the provinces of Khammuan and Savannakhet in central Laos and so miss out on an area of outstanding natural beauty.
Much of it has been declared a National Protected Area, resulting in significantly less deforestation than in other parts of Laos. There are also a number of excellent eco-tourism projects now which help to preserve the wildlife, environment and integrity of local communities.
The town of Thakek, with its somnolent ambience and many fine examples of French colonial architecture, lies on the banks of the Mekong River and is a good launching point for excursions into this captivating wilderness. From here you can explore the many caves that litter the region, including the now-famous Buddha Cave, recently discovered by locals and housing hundreds of Buddha statues and rare manuscripts.
River boat trip
Board a river boat to visit one of the communities that still practice animist rites and worship the forest spirits. Further north, the amazing Kong Lor Cave, seven kilometres in length and up to 100 metres high in places, can be explored by boat.
Heading south to Savannakhet town, there is a dinosaur museum featuring fossilised remains recovered from five sites in Laos. For those willing to stray from the beaten track and prepared to accept a few nights of somewhat basic accommodation, a visit to this region is immensely rewarding.
Map of Khammuan & Savannakhet
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Khammuan & Savannakhet
- Thakek 95 kilometers away
- Hin Boun 134 kilometers away
- Pakse 196 kilometers away
- Bolaven Plateau 217 kilometers away
- Champasak 220 kilometers away
- Vientiane 276 kilometers away
- 4,000 Islands 293 kilometers away
- Vang Vieng 359 kilometers away
- The Plain of Jars 371 kilometers away
- Vieng Xai 434 kilometers away
- Sam Neau 437 kilometers away
- Nam Et-Phou Louey 450 kilometers away
- Luang Prabang 462 kilometers away