Visit Masoala National Park, Madagascar
Masoala National Park is Madagascar’s largest park and one of its least visited.
Primary rainforest covers a range of mountains and drops down to the deserted beaches of Antongil Bay where hump-backed whales come to breed and calve.
Wildlife of Masoala National Park
The Masoala rainforest is beautiful with tall pallisander trees, vines, wild ginger plants, ferns and orchids. Walking in the forest you see hundreds of frogs, including the large tomato frog. Chameleons are easily found: the most commonly-seen species include the panther chameleon, hooded chameleon and several species of stump-tailed chameleon.
Masoala is the last refuge of the red-ruffed lemur which sun themselves on the tops of trees in the morning. At night you often see eastern woolly lemurs sitting in the tree forks and white-fronted brown lemur, brown mouse lemur and the aye-aye are also resident. On the ground a surprising number of lowland streaked tenrecs rustle through the vegetation in their endless search for insects.
Map of Masoala National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Masoala National Park
- Nosy Mangabe 41 kilometers away
- Maroantsetra 47 kilometers away
- Île Sainte-Marie 148 kilometers away
- Ankify 298 kilometers away
- Nosy Komba 306 kilometers away
- Baobab Beach 311 kilometers away
- Ankarana Special Reserve 318 kilometers away
- Anjajavy Private Nature Reserve 319 kilometers away
- Nosy Be 325 kilometers away
- Nosy Mitsio Archipelago 344 kilometers away
- The Pangalanes Canal 345 kilometers away
- Amber Mountain National Park and Joffreville 359 kilometers away
- Joffreville Ambohitra 362 kilometers away
- Northern Madagascar 371 kilometers away
- Mantadia National Park 410 kilometers away
- Andasibe National Park (Perinet) 412 kilometers away
- Antananarivo 460 kilometers away
Photos of Masoala National Park
Accommodation choices for Masoala National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Masoala National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
The lodge is very simple, however what it lacks in luxury it makes up for by having an idyllic location.