Visit Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia
Kuala Terengganu is an excellent stopping off point for journeys up or down the coast and the nearby hotels of Tanjong Jara and the Aryani are favourites of ours on the east coast.
The town itself is well developed due to significant investments from local oil money but the ruling sultan has ensured the area retains its cultural charm and laid back pace of life. With one of Southeast Asia's best museums, colourful markets and good opportunities for traditional crafts and cloth shopping it is certainly worth a visit. Slightly inland of the town the jungle interior opens up the possibility to explore the many rivers and waterfalls in the region.
Map of Kuala Terengganu
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Kuala Terengganu
- Redang Island 54 kilometers away
- Perhentian Islands 81 kilometers away
- Taman Negara National Park 118 kilometers away
- The East Coast 170 kilometers away
- Belum Rainforest 202 kilometers away
- Cameron Highlands 215 kilometers away
- Fraser's Hill (Bukit Fraser) 235 kilometers away
- Kuala Lumpur 287 kilometers away
- Tioman Island 305 kilometers away
- Penang 310 kilometers away
- Pangkor Islands 312 kilometers away
- Malacca 361 kilometers away
- Langkawi 385 kilometers away
Photos of Kuala Terengganu
Accommodation choices for Kuala Terengganu
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Kuala Terengganu. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
With a design inspired by the elegant grandeur of the 17th-century Malay palaces, the Tanjong Jara Resort is one of Malaysia’s finest. Its remote but picturesque location, excellent value and traditional architectural style make it a recommended place to stay.
Ideas for experiencing Kuala Terengganu
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Kuala Terengganu, and which use the best local guides.
Explore the interesting city of Kuala Terengganu. Visit its mid-19th-century fort, the sultan's palace and state mosque. A particular highlight is the island of Pulau Duyong, where you can see hand crafted wooden boats being built.