Visit Yaxchilan, Mexico
Yaxchilan really is a lost city, still surrounded by jungle and vines. Your visit will be accompanied by the guttural growls of local howler monkeys, and toucans will be observing you from a distance.
The city was strategically built on the bend of the river and in its heyday (680 to 760AD) led by its most famous kings Shield Jaguar and his son Bird Jaguar, its sphere of influence stretched across the Usumacinta area and its allies included Palenque and Tikal.
Some of the most impressive features of Yaxchilan are the beautifully carved lintels depicting leaders performing ritual events. Also interesting is the deliberately decapitated statue located in one of the temples. The city's locals believed that when the head rejoined the body, the end of the world would be upon us.
Suggested itineraries featuring Yaxchilan
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Yaxchilan, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Yaxchilan
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Yaxchilan
- Bonampak 22 kilometers away
- Chiapas 94 kilometers away
- Palenque 129 kilometers away
- San Cristóbal de las Casas 179 kilometers away
- Tapachula & Around 260 kilometers away
- Kabah 400 kilometers away
- Uxmal 408 kilometers away
- Yucatán Peninsula 417 kilometers away
- Merida & Around 477 kilometers away
- Merida 477 kilometers away