Visit San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Founded in 1542, San Miguel de Allende is located 160 miles north of Mexico City.
During the colonial era, San Miguel, then called San Miguel El Grande, was the wealthiest town in silver-rich "new Spain" and became a centre of rebel activity during the struggle for Mexican independence. San Miguel de Allende was named a National Monument in 1926 by the Mexican National Institute of Anthropology and History, and later by the United Nations as a World Heritage Site.
The city enjoys a mild climate year round, cooling in the evenings, due to its altitude of 2,133 metres above sea level.
It is a charming town of steep cobbled streets and colonial buildings - best explored on foot or by soaking up the atmosphere in the main plaza.
Map of San Miguel de Allende
Places & hotels on the map
Places near San Miguel de Allende
- Queretaro 52 kilometers away
- Guanajuato 54 kilometers away
- The Colonial Cities 76 kilometers away
- Morelia 143 kilometers away
- Mexico City & Around 236 kilometers away
- Teotihuacan 239 kilometers away
- Cuernavaca 273 kilometers away
- Taxco 289 kilometers away
- Puebla 338 kilometers away
- Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo 374 kilometers away
- Puerto Vallarta 469 kilometers away