Visit Uxmal, Mexico
The ruins of Uxmal are situated to the South of Merida. Uxmal was an important city; probably build around 700AD, although inhabitants are thought to have lived in the area as far back as 800 BC - nearly 1,000 years before the city was built.
It is a mystery as to why a settlement was ever made here: there are no rivers or local sources of water, and no evidence that they once existed. One of the features of Uxmal are the Mayan chultunes - or cisterns - which held water for the population to live from. Chaac, the rain god, features prominently in much of the architecture's carvings - no doubt an important source of water for these people.
Uxmal is a delightful archaeological site to experience, the ancient city is a half-square-mile set in rich green fertile land which provides a perfect setting for some of the most magnificent ancient pyramids, building and temples of the ancient world. You can sense the history here as you walk around and gaze at the stunning architecture and majestic layout of this ancient city.
The restored buildings include the curved Piramide del Adivino (Magician's Pyramid) which stands majestically above the other buildings, the palace facade of El Palomar (Dovecote) that is illuminated at the spring Equinox and the Cuadrangulo de las Monjas which if you climb up its central steps you will see the spectacular views of the complex.
Suggested itineraries featuring Uxmal
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Uxmal, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Uxmal
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Uxmal
- Kabah 18 kilometers away
- Merida & Around 70 kilometers away
- Merida 70 kilometers away
- Chichén Itzá 131 kilometers away
- Yucatán Peninsula 133 kilometers away
- Coba 214 kilometers away
- Tulum 244 kilometers away
- Playa del Carmen 284 kilometers away
- The Mayan Riviera 284 kilometers away
- Isla Holbox 296 kilometers away
- Cancun 318 kilometers away
- Isla Mujeres 331 kilometers away
- Palenque 394 kilometers away
- Yaxchilan 408 kilometers away
- Bonampak 430 kilometers away
- Chiapas 478 kilometers away