Aus is situated 120 kilometres east of Lüderitz on the B4 road which connects Luderitz and Keetmanshoop.
It is a funny little desert town tucked into folds in the hills. It has a wild west quality but it would be fair to say that nothing much ever really happens here!
The railway in stops here because even though the line continues on to the coastal town of Luderitz, sand blown onto the tracks makes it unsafe to use.
Wild horses of Aus
Aus is famous for its wild horses which roam freely in and out of the restricted diamond zone and can often be seen in the area. Nobody knows exactly where the wild horses originated from, but they are supposedly descendents of those from the German Schutztruppe. Another theory proposes their origins to lie in the former stud of Baron Hansheinrich von Wolf of the Farm Duwisib south of Maltahöhe. In any case seeing these wonderful animals against a backdrop of the Namib Desert is fascinating. The horses are most often seen at the Garub waterhole which is about 20 kilometres west of Aus and where a shady observation post has been erected.
Suggested Aus itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Aus, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Aus
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Aus
- Lüderitz 111 kilometers away
- The NamibRand Nature Reserve 180 kilometers away
- Fish River Canyon 182 kilometers away
- Southern Namibia 225 kilometers away
- Sossusvlei & Sesriem 236 kilometers away
- The Naukluft Mountains 291 kilometers away
- Southern Kalahari 352 kilometers away
- Walvis Bay 450 kilometers away
- Windhoek 463 kilometers away
- Swakopmund and Pelican Point 478 kilometers away