Nepal's Everest region is an area of high mountains, Sherpa villages, steep trails, but above all, fantastic scenery.
Roads in this area are non-existent - the road east from Kathmandu stops at the small town of Jiri, which was the starting point for many Everest expeditions before the airstrip at Lukla was built in 1964. Some trekkers, keen to follow in the original footsteps of Mallory, Hillary and Norgay, still trek into the region from Jiri, a nine-day walk to Lukla at around 2,800m.
Lukla, however, is now the main entry point for visitors to the region: the original airstrip is now a proper (albeit small) airport, and from here the trail up to Namche Bazaar, Tengboche and on to base camp is easy to follow.
Walking in the region is not easy - the trails are often steeply ascending or descending, you share the path with yaks and mules, and the altitude makes the effort harder, but the rewards include wonderful mountain scenery, Buddhist monasteries and temples, and the hospitality of the local people, who live a hard life, but are always ready with a smile.
Places to visit in the Everest region
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting the Everest region, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travellers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Everest region
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the Everest region, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Everest region
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Everest region
- Everest Base Camp The Everest region
- Lukla The Everest region
- Mende The Everest region
- Monjo The Everest region
- Namche Bazaar The Everest region
- Pangboche The Everest region
- Tashinga The Everest region
- Dhulikhel 141 kilometers away
- Nagarkot 142 kilometers away
- Bhaktapur 152 kilometers away
- Kathmandu Valley 156 kilometers away
- Kathmandu 162 kilometers away
- Terai 215 kilometers away
- Kurintar 227 kilometers away
- Bandipur 247 kilometers away
- Chitwan National Park 247 kilometers away
- Seti River 253 kilometers away
- Pokhara 290 kilometers away
- Annapurna 297 kilometers away
- Tanchock 299 kilometers away
- Birethanti 301 kilometers away
- Dhampus 302 kilometers away
- Ghandruk 309 kilometers away
- Lumbini 365 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for the Everest region
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Everest region. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.