Visit Kathmandu, Nepal
The eaves of the pagodas, the smells from the street stalls and the vibrant people all combine to make Kathmandu a truly intoxicating and evocative city.
Formerly three separate kingdoms, Patan, Bhaktapur and Kathmandu, these city-states were united during the late 18th century to create modern Nepal but still retain their individual characters.
Today the city’s centre is Durbar square where temples, palaces and golden gates combine into a magical outdoor theatre.
Take time to explore the narrow streets, further squares and temples and you will finally reach Bhaktapur and Potters' Square.
Suggested itineraries featuring Kathmandu
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Kathmandu, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Kathmandu
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Kathmandu
- Kathmandu Valley 8 kilometers away
- Bhaktapur 12 kilometers away
- Nagarkot 20 kilometers away
- Dhulikhel 25 kilometers away
- Terai 71 kilometers away
- Kurintar 72 kilometers away
- Chitwan National Park 87 kilometers away
- Bandipur 93 kilometers away
- Seti River 97 kilometers away
- Mende 136 kilometers away
- Namche Bazaar 138 kilometers away
- Monjo 139 kilometers away
- Lukla 140 kilometers away
- Tashinga 141 kilometers away
- Pokhara 144 kilometers away
- Pangboche 147 kilometers away
- Everest Base Camp 155 kilometers away
- Tanchock 156 kilometers away
- Dhampus 158 kilometers away
- Birethanti 158 kilometers away
- The Everest region 162 kilometers away
- Annapurna 163 kilometers away
- Ghandruk 166 kilometers away
- Lumbini 205 kilometers away
- Bardia National Park 377 kilometers away
Photos of Kathmandu
Accommodation choices for Kathmandu
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Kathmandu. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Part hotel, part museum, Dwarika’s combines traditional style and heaps of character with excellent service and modern facilities, making a fascinating place to stay while you explore the many attractions of Kathmandu.
An exquisitely converted traditional Newari house, the Inn is a charming heritage hotel in the heart of Patan, the "City of Fine Arts".
A converted Rana dynasty mansion, Kathmandu Guest House has become somewhat of an institution. One of Kathmandu's most popular hotels due to its location in the busy hub of Thamel.
The Hyatt Regency is a luxury 5 star city hotel. The rooms are modern in design, well appointed and comfortable. For a city hotel it has surprisingly much character and it comes with all the facilities one would expect from a Hyatt property including a choice of dining options.
Situated in Boudnath just five minutes walk from Boundath Stupa, Hotel Tibet International has all of the modern facilities needed from a hotel along with loads of Tibetan decor and charm.
Ideas for experiencing Kathmandu
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Kathmandu, and which use the best local guides.
Drive a short distance from Kathmandu to Bodnath where you will see one of the largest stupas in Nepal. A small Tibetan settlement has developed around this important religious sight.
Bhaktapur lies only a short distance from the capital, but it could be another planet, so great is the difference in the atmosphere and sense of history.
Take one of the scenic mountain flights to view the high peaks of the Everest and Makalu ranges.