Visit Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
The Hawke’s Bay region, where warm sunny summers and crisp winter frosts create an arena perfect for horticulture, is known as the ‘fruit bowl’ of New Zealand, particularly renowned for its apples and kiwi fruit.
Of greater interest to most visitors, however, are the many local wineries. On the fertile plains between Napier and Hastings lies a veritable treasure trove of vineyards, producing wines of international quality.
Around Hawke's Bay
Stretching along the coast, the crescent-shaped bay and jagged promontory of Cape Kidnappers was so named by Captain Cook who promptly set sail after the local Maori attempted to carry off his translator.
It is now home to the world’s largest and most accessible mainland gannet colony: the birds can be seen preening, performing their unique ritual dance of recognition and surfing the wind currents over the cerulean sea.
Places to visit in Hawke's Bay
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting Hawke's Bay, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travellers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itineraries featuring Hawke's Bay
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Hawke's Bay, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
New Zealand and Australia
Map of Hawke's Bay
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Hawke's Bay
- Hastings Hawke's Bay
- Napier Hawke's Bay
- Lake Taupo 128 kilometers away
- Tongariro National Park 131 kilometers away
- Eastland & Gisborne 137 kilometers away
- Whanganui National Park 171 kilometers away
- Rotorua 173 kilometers away
- Bay of Plenty 210 kilometers away
- Greytown 212 kilometers away
- Wairarapa & surrounds 215 kilometers away
- Waitomo 220 kilometers away
- Tauranga 223 kilometers away
- The Kapiti Coast 223 kilometers away
- Martinborough 224 kilometers away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 258 kilometers away
- Wellington 267 kilometers away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 300 kilometers away
- Marlborough Sounds 302 kilometers away
- Waikato 314 kilometers away
- Coromandel Peninsula 315 kilometers away
- Picton 317 kilometers away
- Blenheim 336 kilometers away
- Waiheke Island 354 kilometers away
- Auckland 361 kilometers away
- Devonport 362 kilometers away
- Nelson 366 kilometers away
- Abel Tasman National Park 374 kilometers away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 387 kilometers away
- Great Barrier Island 402 kilometers away
- Warkworth 409 kilometers away
- Kahurangi National Park 414 kilometers away
- Kaikoura 420 kilometers away
- Hanmer Springs 479 kilometers away
Photos of Hawke's Bay
Accommodation choices for Hawke's Bay
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Hawke's Bay. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Whilst the exterior structure of this hotel remains basically unchanged from when it was first built in 1861, the hotel has undergone a tasteful facelift, restoring many of the features that make it an art deco icon.
Breckenridge Lodge is nestled in the valley of Omarunui. With only five guestrooms the lodge is personal and intimate, and each room is luxurious and private, facing out over the endless vines.
The Farm at Cape Kidnappers offers luxury accommodation, plenty of activities and incredible views out across the mighty Hawkes Bay.
Just a ten minute stroll from the centre of the city of Napier, the Cobden Garden Homestay's three guest rooms with spacious en suite facilities, offer a cosy night's rest.
The Crown Hotel overlooks the waterfront in the village of Ahuriri, Napier, and offers stylish and unique guest suites, ranging from studios to two bedroom luxury apartments.
Located in the heart of the Hawke's Bay wine region, Hawthorne House is an Edwardian Villa that offers a great base from which to explore the Art Deco attractions of Napier, coastline and the region's wineries.
Ideas for experiencing Hawke's Bay
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Hawke's Bay, and which use the best local guides.
This afternoon (half day) wine tour will take you to four of the region's excellent wineries, where you will have the opportunity to taste and purchase some of the wines for which the area is famous.